How many ride an MX bike as if it were trail?

I've heard a lot of things from my buddies who stick to their UTVs saying "You don't use that bike enough" or "Just sell it and get a quad". Personally yes, I use my '02 CR250 for some light trails, but the quad guys think I should go about using my CR250 as if it were a swamp quad lol!

Who out there on TT uses there beautiful track bike just like a ttr230?

I get pretty fussy over not wanting to abuse my bike, just for the fact it's a race bike. Here's a picture of the bike

• Like 2

I trail ride a WR250F. It is a woods/open course race bike. Big whoop(s) ;)

MX bikes are fine for trails providing you are able to ride fast enough to keep them cool. The only time riding one makes no sense is for the beginning rider and they are too much bike for the conditions.

• Like 5

Get a quad to ride with the buddies, keep the bike for the track..

My YZ is a purpose built woods bike, but far from being anybody's idea of a "beautiful track bike". New plastics and nice graphics is just asking to smack a tree.. Don't.

• Like 4

Your buddies don't know their arse from a hole in the ground lol.

I bought a 06 yz250 to use as a trail bike as its no fun for me trail riding mild bikes like a ttr230 anymore. 250 two stroke mx bikes aren't that far from enduro/trail bikes with a couple mods.

I avoid bogs and don't ride with the atv guys too much, they go too slow and stop a lot, if I want to go play in the mud with the atv's I take my atv not my bike, I do this mostly in the winter when the snows deep and crappy to ride the bike in, having both is nice.

• Like 2

OP, I think it's time for some new friends. You are there in Canada so I guess that explains a lot.

Mud bogging on a dirt bike? Thanks, but no thanks.

• Like 3

Have ridden MX in trails for the last 12 years - my old crf450r used to boil sometimes - added a higher psi rad cap and it stopped boiling.

• Like 2

I ride a crf450r in the woods, entered in several enduros and on the MX track. It does all of it just fine. Its not the perfect woods bike it stalls easier than a purpose built trail bike would but its a blast on any terrain.

• Like 2

Riding a CR250 on trails is fine but it will never be as good as a 300XC. We used to have track bikes that we rode on trails, then we switched over to enduro bikes and it has been so much better. Suspension and engine makes a huge difference. A track bike will be better at the track, enduro bike will be better in the woods 9 times out of 10.

• Like 2

Get a quad to ride with the buddies, keep the bike for the track..
My YZ is a purpose built woods bike, but far from being anybody's idea of a "beautiful track bike". New plastics and nice graphics is just asking to smack a tree.. Don't.

Yeah that's my problem is it's too nice of a bike to maul in the hellish trails and ruts of quadtards. I have a Polaris sportsman 700 but I don't get the same vibe of driving a quad compared to my bike.
  • Like 1

I would trash your Honda on the trails until it wasn't beautiful anymore  then go out and buy a KTM, Husky or Beta. 

Uh oh retard alert! (Just kidding man those European bikes are good, but not Japanese good)
  • Like 2

OP, I think it's time for some new friends. You are there in Canada so I guess that explains a lot.
Mud bogging on a dirt bike? Thanks, but no thanks.

It's safe for me to assume your in the US? Man I wish I could be down there, it's difficult to find anyone up here that knows what motocross is and can drive something other than a quad. Don't get me wrong, I may live in Canada but I'm set on being down there with you Americans.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Jason76 said:

I would trash your Honda on the trails until it wasn't beautiful anymore  then go out and buy a KTM, Husky or Beta. 

:thumbsdn::lame:

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Jason76 said:

One in every circus :lol:

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, filterx said:

crf250r and i only ride trails

OMIMG_20160630_113408_zpsoqsvgcmn.JPG.eefbcc81dbb569aaa276e84aaa846caf.JPG

Do you have Free-Range cattle over there ?

Interesting block pattern on that rear - what tire ?

Edited by S.O.A.N.Z

I ride my 12' yz450 on trailrides sometimes.  Always have to wait for people tho no matter what bike i use yz,cr or the 450. honestly 450 isn't as good on gas,  small tank. Leading one tomm acutely :ride:

• Like 1

just go ride and stay away from mud bogs. who cares if it gets scratched and dirty. no disrespect but its a 15 year old dirt bike not a Porsche 911. I ride a 06 kx250f it works fine in the trails.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Motox367 said:

honestly 450 isn't as good on gas,  small tank.

yeah i have a 9L on my 450sx - stock was 6.5L - although i did get 100k without refueling on the 6.5 - but sometimes we do over 100k - and sick of carrying extra fuel just in case.

• Like 1