Crazy engine failures

20170618_192210.jpg20170618_192141.jpg20170618_192156.jpg

Message_1497815560944.jpg

So il start from the beginning.

I bought a 2008 suzuki drz400s 7k for $3400

Ran great and everything.

Got 300ish miles out of it and it dropped a stock intake valve. YAY.

Destroyed head, valves and piston.

.Ok so whatever shit happens.

Bought a second used head with good stock valves. Had a valve job done on it etc etc.

Put a new cylinder and wiseco piston kit in it.

Ran amazing after that rebuild.

But i got 366 miles out of it and it lost a rod and destroyed pretty much everything.

So i now bought new cases. Having crank rebuilt and 434 kit and ferrea valves on a fresh cyl head etc etc.

Anyone seen a rod go like this before? Do you think the rod was damaged from first valve drop?

This bike has become a money pit.

I should have bought a brand new one

I will absolutely update this post with pics of build

• Like 2

Yes, rod was damage/over stressed from first faillure

Rod was more than likely bent after valve drop which then caused second failure

Recomended on here that rod is replaced if it drops a valve/valve comes apart (stock valves are two piece welded togetger and the head comes off)

• Like 6

8 hours ago, dbilunas said:

I should have bought a brand new one emoji30.pngemoji31.pngemoji17.png

That has always been my theory. :smirk:

• Like 3

Yes, rod was damage/over stressed from first faillure
Rod was more than likely bent after valve drop which then caused second failure
Recomended on here that rod is replaced if it drops a valve/valve comes apart (stock valves are two piece welded togetger and the head comes off)

I mean it must have just been stressed. It run perfectly fine no noises or anything. Tons of power and all. All of a sudden it exploded while riding.

That sucks, you got 250F'ed

Might as well make it +4 stroker while you're at it too. Turn this tragedy into a good thing.

I was going to but heard nightmares about hot rod cranks and being unbalanced etc. So i went with oem rod and professional rebuild and balance with new bearing pin and crank and crank balancer bearings.
Pics coming soon
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, dbilunas said:

I mean it must have just been stressed. It run perfectly fine no noises or anything. Tons of power and all. All of a sudden it exploded while riding.

That is the nature of a damaged rod, fairly hard to detect the damage until it explodes, as yours did. I suggest 90% likelihood it was the previous damage that led to this. Thanks for sharing your experience with us and I'd suggest doing that large build, ride that sucker and never look back!

• Like 2

ive seen alot of exploded race motors, bottom ends blown all over the track from one end to the other .. thats what high rpms do .. but your on the right track, build another motor lol ..

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cowpie said:

ive seen alot of exploded race motors, bottom ends blown all over the track from one end to the other .. thats what high rpms do .. but your on the right track, build another motor lol ..

That is the most blowed up DRZ engine I have seen, granted, I feel lucky to have seen so few.

Amazing how the rod chewed the piss out of the cases. I would love to do a penetrant inspection on a rod that had been through a sucked valve, prior to it's second debut.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bermudacat said:

That is the most blowed up DRZ engine I have seen, granted, I feel lucky to have seen so few.

Amazing how the rod chewed the piss out of the cases. I would love to do a penetrant inspection on a rod that had been through a sucked valve, prior to it's second debut.

That is exactly my thoughts as well. That bike must have come to a stop like you hit a wall. 

• Like 2

That is exactly my thoughts as well. That bike must have come to a stop like you hit a wall. 

Nope i clutched it out of the road.
  • Like 2

Nope i clutched it out of the road.

It's amazing what can be saved when survival instinct kicks in. I had a CR250 lock up the crank, mid air, whipped out, over a 50 ft table and managed to straighten it up and ride it out.
  • Like 4

cyoTzvwl.jpg

dBvffbAl.jpg

xfjFA7ql.jpg

PO bigbore'd the thing and forgot wristpin clips. I picked it up cheap, 470'd it and put 21k mi on it in two yr.

Edited by albani
  • Like 3

cyoTzvwl.jpg
dBvffbAl.jpg
xfjFA7ql.jpg

PO bigbore'd the thing and forgot wristpin clips. I picked it up cheap, 470'd it and put 21k mi on it in two yr.

GLAD IM NOT THE ONLY ONE WHO HAD ONE OF THESE GRENADE TO HELL!
  • Like 2

Did that engine leave the house with that pile of garage behind the head or did the motor puke it up on there?

• Like 1

So heres my update so far. Myers racing 94mm top end kit, cp piston, ferrea stainless valves, 4 new bronze guides, and a full valve job, professional motocross tech crankshaft rebuild with prox rod and balanced.
Things gonna turn out to be sweet!
So pumped! I also got a set of sm wheels tehe!
Next update will be next week and it will be 100% finished. job20170729_171846.jpg20170729_172026.jpg20170729_172040.jpg20170729_172045.jpg

Sent from my LGMS550 using ThumperTalk mobile app

• Like 3