Upgraded the Brakes

Just wanted to make a quick comment on upgrading the brakes on my 2014 CRF 250L. So I was doing a major service on my bike, teardown, inspection and re grease on all the parts that needed it, New chain, slider, ect, ect. I decided to go ahead and upgrade the brake lines and pads. So I'll get to the point of this, Why did I wait so long to do the Brakes? Holy crap what a difference! I had no idea how much better it would be, amazing. If you haven't done it yet, do it, you wont be disappointed.

• Like 1

I tossed some steel braided lines and sintered pads on mine. The front is a little bit smoother but the rear is just the same as stock - either on or off. I think the rear stock caliper is pretty low grade and needs upgrading. Has anyone upgraded the calipers (front and/or rear) and have a recommendation?

When I had a xr400 I greatly improved the rear brake performance by disassembling and greasing the rear brake pedal pivots and cotter pins. It seemed to transfer much more of the braking force from your foot into the master cylinder. It also made the action more progressive. 

Edited by Garth Knight
  • Like 2

Getting rid of the flimsy(and very cheap) brake lines is very much needed. I replace the rear with a cfr250x braided line and front with a stock line for a cr250r. Getting rid of the huge loop is a MUST, for safety reasons when woods riding. First time I ride it in the woods......a branch grabbed it and sent me to a stop really quickly.

• Like 2

On 7/10/2017 at 2:51 PM, deathman53 said:

First time I ride it in the woods......a branch grabbed it and sent me to a stop really quickly.

That's why you are known as the deathman ....... :lol: