YZ250 clutch issue: won't disengage

I'm having a serious issue with my '98 YZ250 clutch. It was working fine until I dumped it one day and broke the clutch perch. I got a new perch and cable (old one was rusty and stiff), installed them, and it hasn't been the same.

I have to adjust both cable adjusters almost as far as out as they will go before it will grab a decent amount, but it's still not enough to fully disengage the clutch. I tore the clutch apart. The steel and friction plates are damn near new. The inner hub and basket are in great condition also. The basket doesn't have notches or anything. The springs look good. I replaced the push rod because it had some wear on it, but that didn't solve the issue. 

I routed the cable correctly, as far as I know. I did it the same way as it was before it started to not work. I'm wondering if something behind the hub or basket, like a bearing or spacer, went bad. My only problem is that I cannot, for the life of me, get that center nut off!

Help would be greatly appreciated! I really would like to get a decent amount of riding in before another longer winter comes.

• Like 1

Just now, HeavyRotation said:

Won't disengage when it's running? Mine feels like it won't disengage while its off but it's fine when its running.

Well, to be honest, I don't know. I don't really want to run it right now because I don't have gear oil in it. I need a new crankcase cover seal, but I don't want to order one until I have this clutch issue squared away. 

I propped my bike up on a stand, threw it into gear, pulled the clutch in, and tried to spin the rear tire. It will spin, but I have to really try, like it's only have disengaged. This is the first dirt bike I've owned in a long time, so I'm a little rusty on them, but I'm under the impression it should still spin relatively easy with the clutch lever in.

Well, to be honest, I don't know. I don't really want to run it right now because I don't have gear oil in it. I need a new crankcase cover seal, but I don't want to order one until I have this clutch issue squared away. 

I propped my bike up on a stand, threw it into gear, pulled the clutch in, and tried to spin the rear tire. It will spin, but I have to really try, like it's only have disengaged. This is the first dirt bike I've owned in a long time, so I'm a little rusty on them, but I'm under the impression it should still spin relatively easy with the clutch lever in.

Yup, mine does that, I think its normal, you can't fix it because its not broken. Mines a 99, its always done that. I went through the same thing, changed the cable and freaked out lol.

6 minutes ago, HeavyRotation said:

Yup, mine does that, I think its normal, you can't fix it because its not broken. Mines a 99, its always done that. I went through the same thing, changed the cable and freaked out lol.

Does your cable have a lot of slack, though? I feel like my lever has WAY too much free play? I'm 99% sure it's the correct cable. I ordered it through Motosport (can't remember the brand right now) and I've never had an issue with ill-fitting parts.

52 minutes ago, HeavyRotation said:

I had to really crank the slack out of mine.

And you have had any issues with your set up that way? It's not that I don't believe you. It just seems... wrong that that's how it should be. 

2 minutes ago, HeavyRotation said:

Pounded out a 90 minute woods race today, no problems.

Well, I'll check it out as soon as I can sometime this week. Thanks for taking the time to answer some questions and help me out. I appreciate it. 

One last thing. Can you recommend any good way to test and make sure the clutch is actually disengaging without any oil in the tranny? Could I start the bike up and try and go from neutral to first or something without it dying? Would that be okay to do quickly with no oil in it? Just once? Like I said, I don't really want to order a new gasket and put fresh oil in it until the clutch is good to go.

Here's a thought.

It's a wet clutch right?

And you are figuring out it doesn't work without putting oil in the trany case?

The oil helps the plates slip when disengaged and also helps remove heat to stop the warping.