Honda CR125 Won't Start

Picked up a 1981 Honda cr125 a few weeks ago. Took it for the first time and shortly after starting it the rear wheel locked up and the engine stalled. Thought it was no big problem and rebuilt the top end, But now it wont start! Need some help on why.

It has Fresh fuel, New spark plug (Yes its getting spark), New piston rings, head gasket and coolant.

Its my first bike and am clueless on what it could be. Any help?

Update: I cleaned the carb & jets, Still not starting.

Before I did the top end the bike would start on the fifth kick or so.

Is your plug fouled? Check to see if it's wet after trying to start it.

I don't believe the plug is fouled. It is wet, but when a new plug is installed it gives a similar result. I will try a hotter plug to see if that may help. 

I don't think it should be wet, but I could be wrong. If it's wet it may be flooding or rich I think. Could also be when you put the top end together you may been a little too generous with coating surfaces with oil, I did that on my first top end, bike took FOREVER to start.

That might be it, I did't want to score the piston and used a healthy amount of oil. I will try and pull the plug and let it air dry over night. Is there any way to get the oil out? Or do I just kick it over till it burns off?

Yeah. You could try a fresh plug. But taking the plug out may help it air out.

I hate to ask this but did you install the piston correctly.  If it's in 180 degrees off the bike won't start.  The window or cut away needs to be facing the reeds. More than likely you put it in right but since you said you were new to bikes I had to ask. 

• Like 1

Spent a few hrs after worked today. Finally got the big to fire, although only for a few seconds at a time. To answer 

12 hours ago, GreenMT_Rider said:

did you install the piston correctly

I believe that I did, only because of the results today.