Xr250R/L Fork help

Hi everybody,

I have a 1995 XR250R/L which means that it is a mix between a 1995 XR250R and XR250L. The engine and frame are XR-R. The stator, triple clamp, headlight speedo, wiring harness are all XR-L. What my question is, is "is there a difference between the XR-L and XR-R suspension and what are they?" And secondly how can I tell which one I have? And third and last what weight fork oil should I run for either of those and why?

The difference is tunability. The R has like ten more parts than the L fork has. The L is a tranquil commuter. The R is a go get it race bike. I suggest you print up schematics and get to know it so if you ever need to go in, its not strange to you. 

And fork oil in either of those is honda ss1 5w. Why? Cause that's stock. If you think different fork oil would do something, well, it will but affects something else. Like a heavier oil will affect compression. But it will also affect rebound. Thats why you stay stock on oil. And mess with; springs first. Easiest and cheapest. And not specific to your weight or riding style. Get them specific. Second. Valve shim order. *RaceTech Gold Valves*...This is a science best left to professionals. But sometimes $200 to a suspension professional. Has more out come than $500 into the motor.

• Like 1

very true.....do you have a workshop manual?? they will tell you all you need to know I have a Haynes manual it covers xr250l,xr250r,xr400r from 1986-2003 I think I paid about $30 on ebay a few years ago might help??  good luck with it

very true.....do you have a workshop manual?? they will tell you all you need to know I have a Haynes manual it covers xr250l,xr250r,xr400r from 1986-2003 I think I paid about $30 on ebay a few years ago might help??  good luck with it

IMG_0832.PNGIMG_0833.PNG

I have a factory service manual for a Xr250r, but I'm trying to figure out which fork is actually on the bike and which weight I should use based on the differences between the two forks. I'm changing the fork oil (if I get in there and need to do a rebuild I will, but for now just trying to discern what weight oil to use). By trying to figure out which fork I actually have.

do your forks have adjustment clickers or not??? if they have clickers then xr250r if not xr250l

oil type........xr250l........pro Honda ss-8 suspension fluid or equivalent

xr250r, xr400r....................pro Honda ss7         "      "        " "         "    "

oil capacity

xr250l.................550 cc  (18.6 fl oz

xr250r................492 cc  (16.6 fl oz)

in my xr400r I used maxima 10  type e  it was recommended by my local Honda dealer. works fine for me!......hope it helps

PS. this info is copy'd  from my Haynes manual

fork oil 001.JPG

The oil type recommended will be the same, and its not like theyll tell you to use anything but Honda oil. But you can use what vics got, heck you can use Auto Tranny Fluid, the oil difference is he amount as vic put out.

Go to www.hbhonda.com

And print out the schematic for what you need. Or for L and R, and you will see the difference 

My suggestion is put new oil in. Then buy new springs specific to your weight. Then go from there.

• Like 1

We've used ATF in hundreds of motorcycle forks, dirt and street bikes.
In the 70s it was 49¢ a quart, now it's about $2.48 at Walmart.

• Like 1