2005 crf450r ticking from valves?

Ok so my bike once ran without the top end having a tick to it, I replaced the piston put everything back together not changing shims or anything, started ticking then, vlaves zerod out and had smallest shim so I put new valves in, I did shim them to .007 instead of .006 would that cause the ticming? Also checked oil pump screen and clean too so not sure vmwhat caused the ticking it started ever sinse putting new piston in, any help is appreciated

Check your cam chain tensioner - make sure it still has some adjustment left in it.

Had an 04 450r - the auto cam chain tensioner failed - so put in a manual one.

Yea I just realized that, would taking it out and putting it in a bunch make it fail? Should the chain be able to move at all or be super tight

When you were re installing the auto cam chain tensioner did you reverse the tensioner with a small flat blade screwdriver? If you left the tensioner fully extended while you reinstalled it you probably stretched out the cam chain, making it to loose.

When you were re installing the auto cam chain tensioner did you reverse the tensioner with a small flat blade screwdriver? If you left the tensioner fully extended while you reinstalled it you probably stretched out the cam chain, making it to loose.

I took the whole tensioner out
T

12 minutes ago, 2005CRF450ripper said:

I took the whole tensioner out
T

But when you were re installing it did you remove the small bolt from the center of the tensioner and use a flat head screw driver to turn the tensioner rod counter clockwise to fully retract it? Then you have to hold it fully retracted while you are re installing it otherwise the tensioner rod will be fully extended pressing on the chain,  thus causing the cam chain to stretch even more. This is the proper way to re install the auto tensioners and if you didn't do that your cam chain is probably ruined. 

But when you were re installing it did you remove the small bolt from the center of the tensioner and use a flat head screw driver to turn the tensioner rod counter clockwise to fully retract it? Then you have to hold it fully retracted while you are re installing it otherwise the tensioner rod will be fully extended pressing on the chain,  thus causing the cam chain to stretch even more. This is the proper way to re install the auto tensioners and if you didn't do that your cam chain is probably ruined. 

Ok so if itook the 2 bolts ouut took everything apart put timing chain back on then slide the cam tensioner back in and bolted it in without touching the centre bolt will still mess up the chain?

5 minutes ago, 2005CRF450ripper said:

Ok so if itook the 2 bolts ouut took everything apart put timing chain back on then slide the cam tensioner back in and bolted it in without touching the centre bolt will still mess up the chain?

Yes,  the center bolt is just a cover for the tensioner rod/ adjustment screw.  I would strongly advise replacing your cam chain and re installing your tensioner with the proper method above. 

Take it apart to see what I'm talking about.  You have to turn that screw counter clockwise to retract the rod into the tensioner body. As soon as you release the screw driver it springs back fully extended.  It's tricky to reinstall as you have to hold the screw driver to keep the rod retracted as you bolt it back on the bike.  It helps if you have another pair of hands while you're installing it. 

Yes,  the center bolt is just a cover for the tensioner rod/ adjustment screw.  I would strongly advise replacing your cam chain and re installing your tensioner with the proper method above. 

Alright thanks