450RX woods bike opinions?

I have an opportunity to pick up a 17 Honda 450RX for a great price. I just not sure if its the bike for me and would like some feedback. I ride woods only with lots of sand, turns,roots & whoops currently on a 2010 YZ250F my last bike was a 300 EXC. I have been riding bike on & off again for my entire life but just started again in November. I have been wanting a bike with e-start & kick start and a larger gas tank but this is a heavy bike so I am not sure if its ideal for my type of riding. Anyone own the RX can it be a great woods bike for an average rider?    

Edited by Floyd A

I love my Rx. But I'll not lie to you, I just rode some tight single track in Flagstaff Arizona, rocky as hell and the Rx worn me out! It was fun but exhausting. I hopped on my buddies ktm 250xc-w with a rekluse for a lil bit and it was so nice!

1 minute ago, havaride said:

I love my Rx. But I'll not lie to you, I just rode some tight single track in Flagstaff Arizona, rocky as hell and the Rx worn me out! It was fun but exhausting. I hopped on my buddies ktm 250xc-w with a rekluse for a lil bit and it was so nice!

That's an honest answer you think the weight is the reason it wore you out? 

That's an honest answer you think the weight is the reason it wore you out? 

Nah, I'm a big guy. It was the power delivery, constant clutch work, and suspension was a bit harsh. Granted, these issues could easily be addressed with adding a rekluse & a revalve on the suspension. In full disclosure I ride more single track in the AZ desert & I love my Rx for that terrain.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, havaride said:

Nah, I'm a big guy. It was the power delivery, constant clutch work, and suspension was a bit harsh. Granted, these issues could easily be addressed with adding a rekluse & a revalve on the suspension. In full disclosure I ride more single track in the AZ desert & I love my Rx for that terrain.

You think the power issue could be remedied by adjusting the mapping?

Yes, but it will still be a 450 based on an MX bike. It will be fun in the SHNF but a real brute at Cycleland. The big factor is how serious you are, just having fun or competing in a HS or enduro series for points. There is nothing more fun than having way too much power,,,,,,,there is nothing more tiring than having way too much power. 

Edited by YHGEORGE
  • Like 3

Yes, but it will still be a 450 based on an MX bike. It will be fun in the SHNF but a real brute at Cycleland. The big factor is how serious you are, just having fun or competing in a HS or enduro series for points. There is nothing more fun than having way too much power,,,,,,,there is nothing more tiring than having way too much power. 

Agreed man...my wheelie on command makes the Rx a blast
  • Like 1

I currently have an rx as well with rekluse core 3.0 as well as a G2 throttle cam system and map number two, great easy to ride bike with not much hit with the 400 cam installed, I am a shorter guy and it works great

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, YHGEORGE said:

Absolutely just in this for fun no desire to race. I have never been to cycleland and I hear the wait list is really long. I do ride the SHNF almost every weekend. 

3 minutes ago, georgee said:

I currently have an rx as well with rekluse core 3.0 as well as a G2 throttle cam system and map number two, great easy to ride bike with not much hit with the 400 cam installed, I am a shorter guy and it works great

What type of terrain you ride? 

I just test rode the bike, the power off the throttle you guys are  referring to the jerky jumpy feeling it has?

I have to say I liked the power but  I was on the street so it had a really good traction . But it pulls hard enough to get the front wheel off the ground a foot or so but it was very smooth and  linear. 

I have to agree it doesn't feel like it weighs 260 pounds. I also felt like it wasn't super tall compared to my current 250f.

Of the 3 different mappings only one of them felt different to me. I did stall it a couple of times he suggested bumping the rear sprocket up one tooth for woods riding to shorten first gear. 

Going to sleep on this one but please add anything else you come up with. 

I just test rode the bike, the power off the throttle you guys are  referring to the jerky jumpy feeling it has?
 I have to say I liked the power but  I was on the street so it had a really good traction . But it pulls hard enough to get the front wheel off the ground a foot or so but it was very smooth and  linear. 
I have to agree it doesn't feel like it weighs 260 pounds. I also felt like it wasn't super tall compared to my current 250f.
Of the 3 different mappings only one of them felt different to me. I did stall it a couple of times he suggested bumping the rear sprocket up one tooth for woods riding to shorten first gear. 
Going to sleep on this one but please add anything else you come up with. 

Hey bud, so today I backed off the fork compression 3 clicks and it helped tons on the harsh soft ball sized rocks. And once the trail opened up the bike was untouchable. My buddy on the 250xc-w couldn't keep up. My humble opinion, really evaluate ur terrain. Like ur local every weekend type terrain. I'd hate to recommend a bike that didn't work for ya, but dude, the Rx is a fun beast!
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, havaride said:

Hey bud, so today I backed off the fork compression 3 clicks and it helped tons on the harsh soft ball sized rocks. And once the trail opened up the bike was untouchable. My buddy on the 250xc-w couldn't keep up. My humble opinion, really evaluate ur terrain. Like ur local every weekend type terrain. I'd hate to recommend a bike that didn't work for ya, but dude, the Rx is a fun beast!

My usual terrain is not super technical but doesn't open up for long runs much. So it's get going slow down turn get going slow down repeat. 

Some open stuff but usually 2nd @ 3rd gear terrain, have been doing a bit of mx on it and it works good there as well, not to much open stuff until the cross country racing starts again, it's a good all round bike apart from being a tad heavy

• Like 1

1 minute ago, georgee said:

Some open stuff but usually 2nd @ 3rd gear terrain, have been doing a bit of mx on it and it works good there as well, not to much open stuff until the cross country racing starts again, it's a good all round bike apart from being a tad heavy

The same could be said about myself could stand to lose a few pounds myself.  LOL!!!

Edited by Floyd A

My 450rx IMG_0250.thumb.JPG.dedaecd289dca541ae7ae00cfa0b96dc.JPGIMG_0250.thumb.JPG.dedaecd289dca541ae7ae00cfa0b96dc.JPG

Hey man, how u like that fmf set up? Did u have to update your mapping?

I decided to pull the trigger on this going to pick it up tomorrow!!!  Thanks everyone! 

• Like 1

I've been riding the fence about one too. You guys have convinced me oh yes it shall be mine. Thanks

• Like 2