How does my form look?

Hi guys, i'm mostly an off-road/woods rider. Since the off season i've been making my way to MX tracks and for being a sort of newbie on a motocross track i feel pretty good but would like words from others. i also have some questions.

I feel like some jumps i come out of corners and lose speed when i'm in the midst of standing up to come off the face, How do you work the art of sitting down off the face then standing up in the air?

Do you ride the same form you would as off-road? Standing up over the bars? Or more back on the bike with elbows up?

here's some pics, you guys let me know. IMG_1551.PNGIMG_1550.PNG

8 hours ago, ScrewMx_Hd said:

I feel like some jumps i come out of corners and lose speed when i'm in the midst of standing up to come off the face, How do you work the art of sitting down off the face then standing up in the air?

Hey, based on how you might be feeling this, you could be right. I can't help much with this because some jumps are right out of corners and you could be in the transition stage as you crest it. You can try squaring the bike up to hit the jump face more straight-on. Can you describe what you're asking in a different way? It sounds like you're asking how to seat bounce, but I don't think that's what you mean.

8 hours ago, ScrewMx_Hd said:

Do you ride the same form you would as off-road? Standing up over the bars? Or more back on the bike with elbows up?

You will be riding differently on an MX track because there will be harder braking and accelerating. You will want to get your facepeice closer to your number plate when seated. You can ride standing up, but knowing when it's ok to sit down can help you to put less weight through your arms, which can help you relax a bit and conserve energy.

Standing up over the bars or standing up a little behind them will depend on traction, but, if it's smooth, it's ok to be seated while you search for traction.

When I've ridden off-road, I am standing more often. You are ready, and the unexpected is what you're ready for. MX is a little more repetitive, so, standing isn't always ideal or necessary.

Also, it would be a lot safer if you had your finger over the clutch. Here is a YouTube example of what can happen when you don't do that when you ride.

If you look closely, the clutch lever has no fingers on it when the magic happens. All you need to do is clench your hand a little if you keep your fingers over the clutch. It is a pretty instinctive reaction when you start  losing control, anyway, so, why not take advantage of your instincts?

Edited by Jeffrey Torgalski
Forgot something

:thumbsup:

Edited by Jeffrey Torgalski
On 7/9/2017 at 9:10 AM, ScrewMx_Hd said:

Hi guys, i'm mostly an off-road/woods rider. Since the off season i've been making my way to MX tracks and for being a sort of newbie on a motocross track i feel pretty good but would like words from others. i also have some questions.

here's some pics, you guys let me know.

Your form is where it should be for the skill level you are at. You're neutral on the bike, jumping smoothly having to make minimal corrections, which leads to the style you have: which is very much just floating along with the bike through the air. This is exactly how you want to start out jumping because you are getting comfortable with the basic motions. You are minimizing the unexpected things that can happen to you on the face and in the air.

Where to go from here is either going further inside on the corner before the jump so you are forced to stay sitting and accelerate harder up the face to clear the jump. Or go wider through the corner so you can carry extra speed, stand up early and soak the face up with you legs to jump lower and not overjump. Your style will evolve as  you start having to give more inputs on the jump face and make more adjustments in the air.

Edited by temporarily_locked
You will be riding differently on an MX track because there will be harder braking and accelerating. You will want to get your facepeice closer to your number plate when seated. You can ride standing up, but knowing when it's ok to sit down can help you to put less weight through your arms, which can help you relax a bit and conserve energy.
Standing up over the bars or standing up a little behind them will depend on traction, but, if it's smooth, it's ok to be seated while you search for traction.
When I've ridden off-road, I am standing more often. You are ready, and the unexpected is what you're ready for. MX is a little more repetitive, so, standing isn't always ideal or necessary.
Also, it would be a lot safer if you had your finger over the clutch. Here is a YouTube example of what can happen when you don't do that when you ride.
If you look closely, the clutch lever has no fingers on it when the magic happens. All you need to do is clench your hand a little if you keep your fingers over the clutch. It is a pretty instinctive reaction when you start  losing control, anyway, so, why not take advantage of your instincts?

i kinda am asking how to seat bounce, i think that's how i would save the most time.

On 7/22/2017 at 1:54 PM, ScrewMx_Hd said:

i kinda am asking how to seat bounce, i think that's how i would save the most time.

This one is pretty good on the subject. Some good video footage of examples.

Be careful though. There are times not to seat bounce. Like where there is a dished out spot at the top of the jump that is going to add that much more back end boot and more likely than not it is going to send you over the bars.

For me I found that I occasionally like to seat bounce a little when I'm hitting a jump that is right out of a corner and have no timefor a good run at a jump. If I gas too hard then the front of the bike wants to go too high plus sometimes the back end wants to step sideways if accelerating too hard off the lip of the jump. But rather a nice little seat bounce with normal acceleration adds just a bit more height and hence distance to make clearing the jump easy as pie.

Another time I find a small seat bounce handy is where there are a lot of bumps going into a jump. I'm not at the level that I can blast through that stuff. So I find myself sometimes being a bit slower than I normally would be for that jump. So I'll stand through the bumps but as I get to the base of the jump and it is smooth again move to seated and use that seat bounce to get that distance back that I would have normally had with a better speed.

Edited by GoneDirtBikeN

here's a vid from my most recent MX practice. Same facility but they changed the track.

Needz moar corner speed. Bike sounds great!

Sent from my SM-G935V using ThumperTalk mobile app

Check out dpayne40 on you tube. He is on 450 high in 3rd and preloading for that triple in back of TampaMX (comments say so on one of vids where BPeak82 is commented). He's not seat bouncing, just standing preload. I double bout same as you on my 450 but I'm an old rookie

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using ThumperTalk mobile app

From the video, it seems like you are anticipating the jump a little early. Almost like a freestyle guy would do, governing speed a little to much, then at the last second deciding to gas it or chop the throttle, both messes with momentum.

I would focus on charging to the jump then chopping/or not the throttle similar to what you doing but with more momentum to work with out the corner.

Seat bouncing derives from "seat traction" needed before the jump, normally out of turns when acceleration is critical. Keeping the suspension preloaded by sitting down will give a "pop" effect off the lip.

On 8/7/2017 at 6:28 PM, ScrewMx_Hd said:

here's a vid from my most recent MX practice. Same facility but they changed the track.

focus on your cornering and your jumping will come.

0:36 - You are coming in to far to the right. If you are going to go outside line up all the way outside down the strait. Get the bike leaned over and use the start of the rut/berm so you don't have to brake as hard. You are entering it late and not flowing with it.

0:42 - you do good down the strait, but then you dive super deep into that corner and hit a sharp apex. on that strait smoothly make your way to the right side of the track similar to what you did, but at the first hay bail covered with while plastic you should start braking and working your way back to the left and going to the inside on that left turn.

1:06 - same as 0:36 your coming in to far to the right.

1:59 - practice going inside there. The run up is shorter, but I can hear you blip the throttle before the jump face when you go outside. From the inside would be a good one to learn to seat bound on.