CR125 cylinder

I had my house broken into a few weeks ago and my bike stolen. The police actually recovered it out of the garage of an abandoned house with about 10 other stolen bikes. After spending $350 to get it back from the recovery lot I found that there was very little compression. I tore the top end down and it looked like the cylinder was trashed. I picked up some muriatic acid and took my time and ended up with what I think should be a workable cylinder. I have a stock size wiseco kit on the way with new gaskets. I only tool around in the woods a bit. I don't ride hard. I'm looking for opinions on the cylinder. If anyone thinks I'm just gonna fry the new piston and that I need a new jug or a bore and sleeve that's just more money than I want to spend at this point and I'll probably dump it. I can't catch my nail on anything axial except the small mark that's visible near the exhaust port. Thanks in advance guys. Sorry about a long first post. I did the best job I could cleaning this jug.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Can you catch your nail on any of the scoring ?

Are the ****sticks that stole it paying for it ?

Hey SOANZ. that scoring is smooth as butter for some reason. The only thing that catches my nail is the small nick near the exhaust port. My main concern is the flake at the top of the right exhaust port in the 6th image down. Also I noticed small chips at the very top of the bore around the edge. Not sure if that is cause for concern but I'm assuming when the bike heated up and the piston started to melt those flakes are what caused pitting in the top of the piston and the head. Tank was full of straight gas by the way. They didn't catch anyone unfortunately. Just received a tip that there was strange activity at the abandoned house. Everything so far is out of pocket since the damage done to my window and door frame didn't meet my deductible. So far this whole thing has cost me over $700 and there is no recourse what so ever. The police dusted and swabbed for DNA but they said the print was smudgy and DNA is 8 months out right now. I just want to still be able to tool around on this bike. Had it for 8 years now. First time ever tearing a 2atroke down and cleaning it up.

Yeah i see what you mean - the 6th pic - not too sure what to do - if it was me it would do my head in knowing it was there.

That's a decent chip, and if anything in there catches a finger nail, I'd assume it will catch a ring. It is not too bad to get a cylinder replated, bikes are a good time. It's worth the time to keep the bike around for a bit and get the cylinder plated when the funds allow it

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about your misfortune....looks like they probably ran it on straight gas. I'd replate it if it was me. If money is tight, I understand....but throwing another piston and rings and having it fail again means you flushed that down the drain and you're back to where you are now...ordering yet another piston and definitely having it plated. Do it once and be done with it and not have to worry, would be best in my opinion.

• Like 2