14 year old looking to buy a new dirt bike

Hello, I'm 14 years old and I am looking to buy a new dirt bike. I am 5'7" and 115 lbs and have been riding since I was 7. The main bikes that I have been considering were: a 125 2 stroke, or a 230 or 250 4 stroke. I mainly ride woods and trails. I know that the 125 and 250 will be pretty powerful for me but I think that I will grow into them. If you have any opinions they would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

A lot can depend on what kind of terrain you have. Somewhat open, level area and any that you mentioned will be good. Tight woods with a lot of big, steep hills, rocks, roots, etc.., a 125 can be miserable unless you have the skill to just pin it and fling it everywhere you go. 250F MX bike in those conditions could be almost as bad unless you do a lot of woods specific modding. And a woods 250F (WR, CRF-X, etc..) will go good, but they weigh 250+ lbs. Wear you out quick if you have to pick it up a few times. 230s are great little bikes, but not cutting edge or fast in anybodies standards. Last forever, low maintenance, cheap to buy and own, go anywhere, but not what you would call "thrilling" to ride.

Determine what, and how, you're going to ride, then determine which type of bike will fit those needs.

A lot can depend on what kind of terrain you have. Somewhat open, level area and any that you mentioned will be good. Tight woods with a lot of big, steep hills, rocks, roots, etc.., a 125 can be miserable unless you have the skill to just pin it and fling it everywhere you go. 250F MX bike in those conditions could be almost as bad unless you do a lot of woods specific modding. And a woods 250F (WR, CRF-X, etc..) will go good, but they weigh 250+ lbs. Wear you out quick if you have to pick it up a few times. 230s are great little bikes, but not cutting edge or fast in anybodies standards. Last forever, low maintenance, cheap to buy and own, go anywhere, but not what you would call "thrilling" to ride.
Determine what, and how, you're going to ride, then determine which type of bike will fit those needs.

Yeah I will mostly be riding tight woods and technical trails so the 125 may not be the best option.

8 minutes ago, Will3213 said:

Yeah I will mostly be riding tight woods and technical trails so the 125 may not be the best option.

You want low end grunt in the tight stuff. 250F MX bike with a heavy FWW, suspension revalve, and the jetting/mapping dialed, can go good in tight woods. If you have the ways and means (parental support) to do that, might look in that direction..

Edited by OLHILLBILLY

What's your current bike?

Even though I own a 250F currently (it will be the last) I don't recommend them. A 125 can be an effective trail machine if ridden correct. They are easy to maintain. I did my 1st 2 stroke top end at the age of 13 with a little encouragement from an older friend. The on/off power delivery can be used to your advantage if used correctly.