Got a 86 xl250r up and running. Nice...fun... But seems a bit bogged down. I'd like to see the more torque. Has anyone re-jetted main Jets to get that? eBay has a performance jet kit...am asking for trouble? It already runs a bit hot. I really want to get that front end off the ground....

You could try going up a notch or two on the needle first, that may give you what you want

This machine has two carbs for one cylinder. Raise needle on fuel screw one or air screw one or both? 

I'm not familiar with that set-up, you may have to experiment. As with any leaned out motorcycle, opening up the airbox and un-corking the exhaust helps as well

• Like 1

Unless you know what you're doing, best  to leave the twincarb set-up alone if its running and starting good.

What gearing are you running and how do you use the bike? XL's usually fairly hi-geared, not really suitable for dirt riding.....

Thx, did pull exhaust cap. Not sure on gears, it seems close,  but still expect better performance from take off. The needle setting idea. I think that's the way to go. Rejetting sounds like trouble without recipe/#'s