What's your best save?

I ran a search and couldn't find a similar thread so I'm starting one.

I have 3 pretty amazing saves to date in my 25 years of riding.

1). I have a steel freestyle ramp I built from the Distler bros plans almost 20 years ago. The landing is 15 ft tall at a 65 gap to downside, 55 to safety deck. Right after building it I came up way short, like front wheel just clearing the upside. Panicked, I threw the bike away in the air, and it was the longest flight of my life! Staring at the bike, landing, and contemplating what it was gonna be like to spend the rest of my life in a wheel chair I had the presence of mind to think to myself, this is what it feels like to be thrown by Godzilla? Some how, the bike landed and cased out on the edge of the landing and I managed to land back on the bike. I slammed my chest on the bars and rebounded back off the bike, landing on my feet at the base of the landing. My heart was beating erratically from the impact, I thought I was still dead and then I felt my heart skip a beat and straighten up to normal. The bike was stuck upright on the landing. Of course, no witnesses or footage. I promptly cleaned up and proceeded to the bar to meet up with my riding buddies and tell my tale of almost meeting disaster.(We were all 21)

2). Back in the day at the top track at Broken Spokes, New Philly Oh. I cased the table before the big triple and got thrown over the bars, almost. My knees hooked the bars and my chest landed on the front fender. I regained control by steering the bike with the front fender. No footage but got a standing ovation from the crowd for that one.

3). Probably didn't look as spectacular as the others but was definitely the 2nd scariest. My bike seized mid air, whipped flat, 50 foot table on my practice track. Luckily it came back around and I landed normally. Only 1 witness, no footage.

• Like 1

I pondered this a bit but couldn't come up with anything special, it's all a blur.

I scare the shit out of myself regularly.

• Like 4

Last week I was at a freshly built track to ride it and to give feedback to the heavy equipment operators before race day. I was game to play guinea pig because it allowed me to ride the track before anyone else, but the jumps had real vertical angles both front and back like freestyle bmx or arenacross style. They were tricky to roll over without ruining and I decided it would be easier and less damaging to just ride the track at a consistent pace in 2nd gear and focus on the track itself instead of shifting. Well that was a mistake! I tried to double, and single out of a 60' triple but had too much speed for that but not enough to clear it so I landed nose first into the face of the last jump/landing. The chin section of my helmet smacked my crossbar, and my pegs were completely deweighted with my body balancing somewhere over the tank and handlebars. I got squirrely as hell but somehow managed to stay up right. I got it on helmet cam but if I don't crash hard my kids don't like to watch so I haven't trimmed the video or even uploaded yet.

• Like 2

in a hare scramble fighting for the lead was a patch of deep sugar sand whoops into a big sugar sand berm, was too focused on the guy in front of me and supermanned off the bike from a whoop, landed my nuts on the seat with my body parallel to the bike, trying to get back on my feet i pulled more throttle and railed the berm somehow in a super man position.

• Like 2

I've been riding for 27 years. I'm not known for my epic saves; however, I am known for my epic crashes to which I rarely disappoint.

When I was a teen on my YZ250, I had a hornet fly inside my helmet going down a really sandy steep hill. It stung me in the earlobe and then the neck while in my helmet. I started violently smacking my helmet to kill it which caused me to go up and over the berm on the edge of the trail, clipping a tree in the process (which actually straightened me out). I somehow managed one handed to steer back onto the trail and go back down the berm, near the very bottom of the hill. I immediately shut the bike off and flung my gloves off screaming and trying to get my helmet off while my dad asked me "What the &%$#@! are you doing?!"

He saw it fly out of my helmet after I ripped it off and couldn't stop laughing. To this day, about 10 years later, I still have the stinger to that thing in my neck and can feel the bump from time to time. 

2 years ago I was riding with my buddy out on a dual sport ride, and he slammed on his brakes unexpectedly into a hairpin turn. I didn't know it was coming, and obviously either did he. I slammed on my brakes and almost laid my bike down to avoid hitting his KTM 500. I finally slid to a stop as he whipped around the corner only to see in horror that there was about a 50 foot drop down into a steep ravine and into a fast flowing river. Whew doggy. 

• Like 1

not from the trails but  years ago i had a 82 xl250 road reg and was on my learners.  one day tootling down the road I had some yobbo pull out on me from the side of the road (he obviously did not look) he drove into my lane and gave me a bump that sent me across the other side of the road narrowly missing a parked car and onto the foot path (thank some one that there was no cars coming the other direction at the time) I gathered my self and got back on the right side of the road again and chased him down when he finally stoped man did I give him a blast. he tried to blame me for the incident so some more choice words and the finger and I was on my way scared the carp out of me.....now I make sure I have excess room around cars when on road.... stay safe if road registered and watch out for the day dreamers.

• Like 1

My best saves have been coming out unscathed on some epic crashes.  My all time best one was a few years ago on the Alpine Loop near Mancos, CO, I hit a root with the bottom of my fork while wound out pretty good in 4th gear.  Most spectacular endo of all time from what I was told, and I just got up and said "wow!".

• Like 1

A friend and I, both on done up streeted sm XR650R's were both racing absolutely flat out, side by side in 5th gear,probably going close to 120mph...when suddenly I see a big fat water grouse dive bomb me from the power lines out of the corner of my eye..I didnt have time to react,it hit me smack off the face..I was wearing a MX helmet and googles and it went straight into the goggle area..It felt like somebody nailed me with a baseball bat..I went black for 2 seconds as it almost cleaned me off of the bike,the pain was shockingly hard and instant,but my survival instinct kicked in and I ignored it cause I knew I was going 120mph:eek:..It took a lot just too maintain composure and get that thing geared down to the side of the road..when I did I ghost rode it into the ditch ..I thought my face was hanging off,blood was raining out of my helmet..not that bad,both eyes were bleeding and swollen almost shut,my nose was pissing blood and i had pieces of plastic stuck in my cheeks from my visor or goggles..Damn that hurt!..My buddy was howling at me later,he said my back almost touched the seat and the bird just disintegrated   

• Like 2