DRZ400 dies going 50 mph in 5th gear, starter won't turn engine over

Hi all,

Today I was riding home on a pretty hot day going about 50 mph, steady RPMs and in 5th gear on my 2003 DRZ400. I cranked the throttle a little bit and the bike stuttered and shut off. Now this has happened before; the bike randomly shutting off while driving at somewhat high speeds. What has happened in the past is that I simply just pulled over, turned the key to the off position and back to on, and turned the bike back on with no problems. This time around when I tried that, the starter kept spinning the engine but the engine wouldn't start. So I tried roll-starting the bike and it briefly turned on but I was getting a lot of noise in the starter area so I just threw it back in neutral and pushed the bike to a parking lot and got towed home. Now, the battery is totally drained. Does anyone have any idea where I can begin diagnosing what went wrong? I really hope the stator didn't come loose and destroy the internals.

So for a complete novice I'm assuming that 1) a fuel check is simply opening the fuel petcock and seeing if gas flows to the carburetor 2) Replacing the spark plug and seeing if the problem disappears 3) buying fancy equipment to test the compression of the cylinder?

Remove the air cleaner and give it a shot of starting fluid. If it doesn't hit, we can eliminate a fuel problem.

• Like 1

Pull that cover off the stator and flywheel. And show us some pictures of the damage in there.

• Like 1

So for a complete novice I'm assuming that 1) a fuel check is simply opening the fuel petcock and seeing if gas flows to the carburetor 2) Replacing the spark plug and seeing if the problem disappears 3) buying fancy equipment to test the compression of the cylinder?

Try the starting fluid first. No start = not a fuel issue. Next, pull the spark plug and check to see if spark is present when turned over. If spark looks ok then you need to check compression. A compression tester kit from harbor freight is like 30 bucks. There are also a lot of auto parts stores that loan testers out for free.

Of course, if you hear bad noises when turning it over, stop.

Just drained my oil and it looked sparkly and swirly with really fine (i'm talking extremely fine, like powder sugar fine) sparkly particles. Getting nervous now.

21 minutes ago, maelstrom93 said:

Just drained my oil and it looked sparkly and swirly with really fine (i'm talking extremely fine, like powder sugar fine) sparkly particles. Getting nervous now.

11 hours ago, bucket list said:

Pull that cover off the stator and flywheel. And show us some pictures of the damage in there.

Noise on the left side was a major clue. :(

• Like 1

On Monday, July 10, 2017 at 9:23 AM, maelstrom93 said:

Got an update for us 93 ?

• Like 1

On 7/12/2017 at 8:00 PM, bucket list said:

Got an update for us 93 ?

Got the stator cover off. Bolts of the flywheel came off and scored the flywheel/ crushed the stator. I think those are the only two things that I need to replace. See the link below.

https://imgur.com/a/Vh9uC

Edited by maelstrom93
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, maelstrom93 said:

Can my flywheel still be used guys? The inside is scored but the gears haven't been hurt at all! I really don't want to drop $400 on a new flywheel if I don't have to.

https://imgur.com/a/Vh9uC

I would just Loctite new bolts in there, new stator and see how it works. I think you'll be ok.

of course I would do an oil flush after running it for a bit.

Edited by bucket list

Stator and shiny oil are two seperate issues, the stator is sealed off from the oil side (more or less).

Does anybody know what size fasteners I need for the flywheel and the stator? I want to go ahead and replace everything. This diagram does not specify the part number for the fasteners in the flywheel that backed out on me.

Sorry, can't recall the size. But you had them in you hand. Take them into a fastener supply store.