Kickstart wont kickback?

i put a new kick start shaft in my 79ds 125, and it will snap back when the cover is off, but when i put the cover on i have to manually pull it back into place and it makes a noise untill its in place. does anyone know what i can do to fix this?

yea i think it will be a simple fix , i just figured maybe someone else has had this problem.

• Like 1

Maybe a bind where the side cover fits onto the shaft. There s/b/ a couple alignment dowels to align the side cover to the engine case. They've been known to fall out during disassembly.  Also, if you thought it was way too easy to prewind and set the kickstart spring, it may need another turn to increase the spring tension. They can be tricky to wind.

It was a bitch to prewind lol, i thought about it, and when the cover is off i held the washer against the gear  when i kicked it down cause if not the gear wanted to slip out so i am thinking i just need to put another washer in there or a bushing so the cover is puting pressure against the washer holding that gear flat. when i get time to work on it ill see what i can do.

Edited by kicknw1ng