No trials tires

Just noticed that anyone with trials tires can race Brushy mountains Battle of the Goats race but can not compete/score. Interesting

Tennessee Knockout extreme enduro you can ride a trials bike or use trials tires on Saturday but will will be disqualified for Sunday. Mainly because sponsor Kenda doesn't make trials tires.

• Like 1

Because they want to sell tires that last 1/10 of trials tires and grip 1/4.

• Like 1

The "gummy" tires available these days like the Kenda IBEX work better than a trials tire does on a dirt bike anyway. 

• Like 1

On 7/15/2017 at 8:28 AM, ccullins said:

The "gummy" tires available these days like the Kenda IBEX work better than a trials tire does on a dirt bike anyway. 

Then why are Trials tires outlawed?

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 9:09 PM, slowmoto said:

.....Mainly because sponsor Kenda doesn't make trials tires.

Like he said.

On 7/21/2017 at 5:09 AM, DaveCR said:

Like he said.

I don't think Kenda makes paddle tires for dirt bikes, are they outlawed?

Trials tires were the tire of choice up through the 2007 season. Enter Maxxis in 2008 as a major sponsor, but they don't have a competitive trials tire. We conspiracy theory folks assumed that Maxxis was behind that ruling.

• Like 1

On 7/24/2017 at 6:00 AM, DaveCR said:

Trials tires were the tire of choice up through the 2007 season. Enter Maxxis in 2008 as a major sponsor, but they don't have a competitive trials tire. We conspiracy theory folks assumed that Maxxis was behind that ruling.

Right, but now that there are specialty tires available for Endurocross there should be no reason to outlaw Trials tires. I see it as an attempt to distance Endurocross racing from Trials which is a skill competition rather than a race, which seems weird to me since most of their top riders come from a Trials background. I can remember when many of the top MX racers were also Trials champions, ie Roger De Coster.

On 7/15/2017 at 8:28 AM, ccullins said:

This is my feeling as well. I used to use trials tires all the time and thought they were great. Used the MT43 for a while then the IRC. I switched to the Golden GT216 gummy and had a love hate relationship with it as a 1st knobby tire since riding so long on trials tires. Then I found the Kenda IBEX and my god I'll never switch back, that thing is amazing and IMO pretty much makes trials tires on enduro bikes obsolete. I'm not the only guy who's discovered this around here either, I've got a list of a half dozen more guys that feel the same way.

I think we should be able to run whatever tire or bike we want and allow trials tires and trials bikes. The top riders will still win on an enduro bike but the many amateurs will do better on a trials bike. Maybe this will help trials bike sales.

I'm an average rider and last year I raced an Endurocross race in Vet class and Trialscross class. I had better lap times on my trials bike. I'm racing the TKO this weekend and it will be muddy and raining. I'm seriously considering riding my trials bike Saturday even though I'll be disqualified for Sunday. I can either wear myself out pushing my enduro bike or have some fun on my trials bike. It will be interesting to see if a trials bike will be better for extreme enduro on Saturday. I definitely think a trials bike is better on Sunday and the main event for the average trials rider.

If any top pro rode the TKO on a trials bike, I think they would get smoked. In the early days of Endurocross, trials riders were embarrassing guys on enduro bikes which is why they outlawed them and put them in a separate class. I'd like to see a trials bike class at the TKO.

I wonder if the hot setup for a trials bike in a mud race is a Kenda Ibex or other gummy tire? I know the Equilibrium is too wide to fit in my GG Pro.

There have been times where I would have loved to have had a knobby tire on my trials bike. But then again if you know what you're doing you can make a trials bike go pretty much anywhere with tires it's meant to use.

• Like 1

My opinion is that the course creator can create what ever they desire and make rules however they want. Then the public can support it or not. I think trials bikes could ruin "hard "enduro. Because the trials bike does have an advantage. The result would then be creators making easy enduro, with fast open flowing, to out run the trials bikes. For example, people complained that The Battle of the Goasts enduro was to hard this year. That is exactly what the owner wanted. Many will drop out due to it being to hard for them but they will be replaced by new people whom are attracted to hardest trails known. It will eventually attract the big names. I was the original poster of this conversation. I brought it up because I thought it was interesting that a trials tire was seen to be an advantage. But after reading others thoughts and thinking about it. How many trials bikes have you ever seen with knobbies. It's not the tire they hope to keep out but rather the trials bike. They were smart. Foreseeing that their efforts to create hard enduro would evolve into a trials race. 

12 hours ago, Pittbull said:

This is my feeling as well. I used to use trials tires all the time and thought they were great. Used the MT43 for a while then the IRC. I switched to the Golden GT216 gummy and had a love hate relationship with it as a 1st knobby tire since riding so long on trials tires. Then I found the Kenda IBEX and my god I'll never switch back, that thing is amazing and IMO pretty much makes trials tires on enduro bikes obsolete. I'm not the only guy who's discovered this around here either, I've got a list of a half dozen more guys that feel the same way.

Did you ever try an Equilibrium? I was disappointed with that tire so I'm a little hesitant to spend the $ on an Ibex, I'm sure I will eventually but I'm not sure if it will be on my woods bike or my desert bike (which is hard on tires).

Did you ever try an Equilibrium? I was disappointed with that tire so I'm a little hesitant to spend the $ on an Ibex, I'm sure I will eventually but I'm not sure if it will be on my woods bike or my desert bike (which is hard on tires).

I never had one but know 3 who've ridden with me who had them. 2 thought they were crap and 1 loved it. I've yet to hear anyone dis the IBEX but know many top riders here who like me rave about them.
One thing though, they will last a very long time for a guy who knows better than to spin and someone who rides tight knarley terrain. They won't stand up to motox or rippin hard pack. I killed a brand new IBEX in one day at Moab, had hero traction but that particular rock just wore the center knobs right down.

16 minutes ago, filterx said:

Shinko 505 - Man I've been running a 18" IMO amazingly durable at different PSI and terrain and hooks up

My desert bike shredded a 505 Cheater in very short order. I guess I'll try an Ibex on my woods bike.

28 minutes ago, motovita said:

My desert bike shredded a 505 Cheater in very short order. I guess I'll try an Ibex on my woods bike.

Ya I'm sure riding a 505 in the desert would shred a 505 but I've had mine on since end of June and spent 6 days in Kamloops then back in the PNW.

I might have about 10hrs on mine cus the riding has been limited for the last month but as I said and IMO I'm really liking it.

I've got the Ibex and the IRC Gekkota on my radar :)

Edited by filterx
  • Like 1

Nice thing about the IBEX and what helps it last so long is that you never have to spin it. It always hooks up so you learn to take care of it. I never abuse my tire on gravel or the like. It's there for a perpose, single track.

20 hours ago, 1gr8bldr said:

My opinion is that the course creator can create what ever they desire and make rules however they want. Then the public can support it or not. I think trials bikes could ruin "hard "enduro. Because the trials bike does have an advantage. The result would then be creators making easy enduro, with fast open flowing, to out run the trials bikes. For example, people complained that The Battle of the Goasts enduro was to hard this year. That is exactly what the owner wanted. Many will drop out due to it being to hard for them but they will be replaced by new people whom are attracted to hardest trails known. It will eventually attract the big names. I was the original poster of this conversation. I brought it up because I thought it was interesting that a trials tire was seen to be an advantage. But after reading others thoughts and thinking about it. How many trials bikes have you ever seen with knobbies. It's not the tire they hope to keep out but rather the trials bike. They were smart. Foreseeing that their efforts to create hard enduro would evolve into a trials race. 

We should have the choice to use the best tool for the job. The trials bike ban is like being forced to use a wood tennis racquet when graphite ones are available. The solution would be a separate trials bike class and riders will figure out what bike is better for a particular race.

I raced an extreme poker run in March on my enduro bike. Only 5 riders out of 31 made all the checkpoints. If I rode my trials bike, I could have made it. Everyone else like me was too worn out pushing our bikes and bailed out. Actually trials bikes were allowed but no one rode one. Now I know in those conditions at my skill level, I needed a trials bike to complete a lap.

Maybe if more trials bikes were used in hard enduro there will be mods developed to make trials bikes better for that purpose. I think the smaller Shinko Cheater will fit in my GG swingarm but it would be nice to be able to use wider tires.

Every year at the TKO when the weather is not so great, a few dozen entries will decide not to start. Maybe if they had an option of a lighter bike, they would ride anyway. Watching the main event, I wouldn't want to ride in on my enduro bike, but would love to on my trials bike.