Neck brace for a 9YO?

Finally got the go ahead from the mama to get the kiddo a dirty bike.  Will be looking at some this weekend, hopefully bringing one home.  Gear and safety are important, so I'm considering a neck brace, although I'm not sure if it's overkill for the trails, it's not like you can have too much gear on.  I'm curious though, do they work without chest protectors?  She won't be getting roosted on the OHVs, at least not unless that guy wants to try and outrun my 650R when I'm angry, so I don't think she'll need upper body gear. 

What do you all think, and if your kid uses one, which one?

Just now, motox331 said:

Go with the atlas brace for him. By far the most comfortable and most safe feeling brace that I have ever worn.

Yep, don't even know it is there until you need it.

To be honest. As longboard as you are financially capable, I would go the whole 9 yards and get the chest protector anyway. It doesn't just protect from roost as much as it does impacts with objects such as rocks,trees or even the bike in case of a crash. And I would look at knee braces of some sort also. they may have a price but in the long run these thing will save your kid a lot of pain and trouble. I still have knee problems from not having braces from a few falls 3 years ago

All good ideas and suggestions, I'll look into the  Atlas stuff and some additional gear, thanks