Hello everyone! I'm looking to get into dirt bikes and need some advice. I have a little experience on bikes from 5-6 years ago going out riding track with a friend on his yz85. They always said I was, "naturally talented" and needed to slow me down, but again tiny bike. I have been practicing on his old XR100 and having no trouble. We will be doing mainly desert and trail riding. I'm looking mainly at 2Ts because of their low cost, low maintenance, and just seem more fun. Now, I have a budget of around 1200-1500$, and there are many 250 2Ts in great condition in my price range. There's a YZ250 that's been done over to be enduro and my dad really thinks I should get it. I honestly think I could possibly ride it, but I'm also cautious because I'm aware of the huge power it has. One friend says I couldn't, the other says I definitely could. I'm 5'10, 15 yo, 130lbs. Thank you so much for your help. :ride:

Link to bike: https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/mcy/6209138331.html

The yz 250 is about the best bang for your buck it has a broad power band and much more low end to mid pull then all the other makes  , which makes it great for someone making the transition . , a cr 250 is a very good bike as well.. 

You are a pretty light rider .. and its gonna be very much a handful at 130 lbs . i would highly consider a 125 , but if your dead set on a 250 the power is there and then some for someone your size ... 

The bike in that post i think maybe priced a little high in my honest opinion ... you never know what your getting , ever .. dont take anyones word for it but someone who has bought something , with that being said ... i would pay about 900 and keep the extra for anything it may need that you wernt aware of ... i typically rebuild every two stroke i buy off the jump unless new and adjust my offer price accordingly to that ... 

Good luck and have fun 

• Like 1

That's a 27 years old bike.  Based on that last picture with the completely rusted rotors it looks to me like someone found this thing rusting in a barn or field and got it running again.  Save up a little more and get a 2000 or newer YZ125 or 250.  

Doc

Condition is everything. Dirt bikes are high maintenance and degradation happens quickly if neglected. There are plenty of used 2 to 3 year old bikes in need of complete rebuild, let alone any bike approaching 2 decades. Buy the most mechanically sound machine you can find.