Broken/dislocated rib - recurring injury

Two years ago I went down on my bike on a fire trail around 60mph after getting ran off the road by two trucks racing side by side. Needless to say, I broke/dislocated my bottom right rib in the impact despite wearing my EVS G6 due to tucking my arm under me and then landing on it. 

The pain started as a sharp pain just in the rib area, then eventually radiated to all the ribs below the right breast. Extremely sharp if you lift a lot (as in, like a 25 pound kicking and screaming 2 year old) etc. I went to a chiropractor, and it felt better at first, before getting significantly worse; then once again getting better after a few months.

Anyway, I went down the other day again, and did the exact same thing... epic concrete face plant in high 3rd, and once again landed on that side. It's not as bad as last time, but from what I understand, rib injuries have a high probability of recurring, and it's sidelining me off my brand new bike. 

What can I do to speed the healing process and/or prevent this from happening, if anything? It seems like there's really no type of physical therapy or exercises that I can do at a glance. 

Wrap you're torso with an ace bandage, try not to move more then needed and don't take large breaths. Maybe try a different type of chest guard to prevent it. I work in medicine and we don't do much for a rib fracture unless its hazardous to organs around it or deformed/shattered.

• Like 1

I was wondering about switching protectors. I don't know of any chest protection though that doesn't move on impact injuries. This has decent chest/rib protection for hits, the problem isn't the hit though, it's the impact injuries due to the flexibility of the chest area. 

I'd need something that fits snugly, but doesn't collapse/fold in on itself if that makes sense, like a wrap around fairly solid unit. I'll have to start looking around to see if such things even exist. I'm guessing not; even a standard MX chest protector wouldn't really fit the bill either, but I'll take a look.