North vs. South Carolina

Living in Utah right now due to the Air Force and looking to move back east in a couple years. I'm originally from southern Pennsylvania, but I'm looking to move to either North or South Carolina. What's the best area within the two states to live so I'm close to good trails and tracks? I'm also looking to start up a dealership with a service department for bikes and atv's to get the shop running. If anybody knows a good area to live/set up shop, please respond. Looking to travel at most for daily riding up to an hour.

Edit: I also would like to be about 2-3 hours from OBX or any other good beaches. I know this is probably a stretch, but google isn't any help when it comes to figuring this out. I've got about a year and a half at the least until I plan on moving so I'd like to get a jump on this now. Thanks to anyone that responds!

OBX is North Carolina. I live in Raleigh and have about 5 tracks within 90 minutes. Here is a good map resource of tracks. http://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/trails/north_carolina_map.htm

What're the trails like? In Utah we've got a lot of mountain singletrack and desert riding that'll go for days, but they're all dry and I've only got maybe four trail systems within an hour drive and they're pretty short trails, but decent for when I can only ride for 2-3 hours.

NC has three terrains from West to East (mountain, piedmont and coastal). They vary from rocky to sandy. Both of the Carolinas are heavily wooded with forests.

Never ridden coastal. Sounds fun actually. I'm just looking to meet all three factors without sacrificing much. I'm mainly concerned about shop location first, good riding second, and beach third. Been to the Carolinas a few times, but never ridden so idk much about the areas. Thanks for the input!

For a shop I would stay close to a populated area which generally means a little further from tails but not far from mx tracks. For a good Central location I'd look at the Raleigh and surrounding areas, good riding and trails within 60-90 minutes away, mountains are a couple hours drive but plenty of good riding in the foothills area, probably finger in my opinion, less big rocks..lol

Brushy mountain, Brown mountain, are pretty fun, Brown is a bit more technical and rocky terrain, brushy has better flow in my opinion but both are a good time.

Use Rider planet as mentioned above to get an idea of riding facilities available in the area an me then scope out YouTube for those places and make a list of the ones that look like what your interested in.

I live in Wilmington, NC (coastal area) and love it, but the mountain trails are a bit far at 4-5 hours. Not a huge deal as most offer camping and makes for a fun weekend if you head up early mid day on a Friday. We have a few places to ride.. below is a list of places we go with locations..

Midway atv park, Southport, NC (45 minute drive) trails, logging roads
Cape Fear MX Park, Elizabethtown, NC (50 minute drive) trails, track
Busco Beach, Goldsboro, NC (1:15 minute drive) trails, track
*Outback MX, Laurinburg, NC (1:35 minute drive) trails, track
*Battery Park, Nesmith, SC (2:30 minute drive) trails, multiple tracks
*NCMP, Henderson, NC (2:30 minute drive) trails, multiple tracks

The starred locations are my favorites!

Hope that helps!

Chris

For a shop I would stay close to a populated area which generally means a little further from tails but not far from mx tracks. For a good Central location I'd look at the Raleigh and surrounding areas, good riding and trails within 60-90 minutes away, mountains are a couple hours drive but plenty of good riding in the foothills area, probably finger in my opinion, less big rocks..lol

Brushy mountain, Brown mountain, are pretty fun, Brown is a bit more technical and rocky terrain, brushy has better flow in my opinion but both are a good time.

Use Rider planet as mentioned above to get an idea of riding facilities available in the area an me then scope out YouTube for those places and make a list of the ones that look like what your interested in.

I live in Wilmington, NC (coastal area) and love it, but the mountain trails are a bit far at 4-5 hours. Not a huge deal as most offer camping and makes for a fun weekend if you head up early mid day on a Friday. We have a few places to ride.. below is a list of places we go with locations..

Midway atv park, Southport, NC (45 minute drive) trails, logging roads
Cape Fear MX Park, Elizabethtown, NC (50 minute drive) trails, track
Busco Beach, Goldsboro, NC (1:15 minute drive) trails, track
*Outback MX, Laurinburg, NC (1:35 minute drive) trails, track
*Battery Park, Nesmith, SC (2:30 minute drive) trails, multiple tracks
*NCMP, Henderson, NC (2:30 minute drive) trails, multiple tracks

The starred locations are my favorites!

Hope that helps!

Chris

Sweet! I'll have to look those up. Ya I was thinking about a more populated area for a shop, but not really a city. More of a decent populated town.

I myself are looking to do the same, but I think I am leaning to SC.  Warmer winter months.  The Charleston area is just beautiful.

In general SC is cheaper, but there's a reason for it.  There are some nice areas but also a lot of poor areas, and the roads are crap (but very low fuel tax..)

I'd go with NC personally.  Raleigh/Cary is a great area, plenty of riding, etc.

Let me tell you SC all the way ...either by the coast or just outside Charlotte is the state line . SC is way cheaper tax ,housing , gas,insurance ,everything !!

Let me tell you SC all the way ...either by the coast or just outside Charlotte is the state line . SC is way cheaper tax ,housing , gas,insurance ,everything !!

It's cheaper, but would my business do better in SC or NC, that's the real question and depending on the state, what are some prime locations. I know putting it in a city area would be a good idea, but I was leaning towards a more populated town that is found of motocross. I was intending on Florida originally, but NC is also only a 5.5 hour drive from home and depending on where in NC it's only a 3-4 hour drive to OBX. I've got time to figure it out, but wanted to see what y'all fellow TT-ers could input.

It's cheaper, but would my business do better in SC or NC, that's the real question and depending on the state, what are some prime locations. I know putting it in a city area would be a good idea, but I was leaning towards a more populated town that is found of motocross. I was intending on Florida originally, but NC is also only a 5.5 hour drive from home and depending on where in NC it's only a 3-4 hour drive to OBX. I've got time to figure it out, but wanted to see what y'all fellow TT-ers could input.

Charlotte area can't go wrong it's one of the fastest growing big cities in the country and there's a ton of riding within a hr , if you live in a suburb like say fort Mill SC or rock Hill SC ,Indian Land SC you get the best of both worlds Charlotte's big city pop with sc prices. I don't know of you got kids to put in school but if so these are the places to be in the area .

What is the difference between living in the high country vs low country?  I have been in Savannah, Charleston, Summerville, Mt. Pleasant, and Myrtle Beach and they all seem very nice and very northern like (meaning no real deep southern accents, and the areas are not much different from where I live in south NJ).  Not saying northern-like is good or bad, just that I didn't feel any culture shock from where I live in south NJ.

What is the difference between living in the high country vs low country?  I have been in Savannah, Charleston, Summerville, Mt. Pleasant, and Myrtle Beach and they all seem very nice and very northern like (meaning no real deep southern accents, and the areas are not much different from where I live in south NJ).  Not saying northern-like is good or bad, just that I didn't feel any culture shock from where I live in south NJ.

Lol cuz those are all the tourist spots !! And good areas . We are not from here but been here 4 yrs and there are some serious southern draws and also alot of transplants like ourselves it really comes down to what are you going to do for a living here because it's either you need the city for work opportunity or you don't . Out in the sticks there's not much opportunity to find work .

4 hours ago, Greenwrench said:

Lol cuz those are all the tourist spots !! And good areas . We are not from here but been here 4 yrs and there are some serious southern draws and also alot of transplants like ourselves it really comes down to what are you going to do for a living here because it's either you need the city for work opportunity or you don't . Out in the sticks there's not much opportunity to find work .

Yup, exactly.  The touristy areas are going to be nice in either.. I'd shoot for Charlotte or Cary NC personally.  Can't beat Charlotte, I love that city and there are plenty of people with plenty of money to spend

Amd,

From your criteria…….. Raleigh / Durham area 

From the small sampling of young upward moving I’ve known, several have drawn there… It’s relatively centrally located for runs to the coast fishing or riding in the mountains. The disgusting problem is that in late Sept going through October when the weather gets perfect for mountain trail riding the big Drum (Redfish) are in the surf biting!:banghead:

The Charlotte area might be another consideration as it’s kinda centrally located to both Carolinas, It’s back to boon time by the looks of construction and subdivisions going in around here. It too is in reasonable distance to riding in the  mountains and such, along with the coast not out of range of a half day drive.

Best of fortune in your quest

Dave

Edited by Pez Rojo

On 7/10/2017 at 4:23 PM, 95jersey said:

I myself are looking to do the same, but I think I am leaning to SC.  Warmer winter months.  The Charleston area is just beautiful.

Sorry, We're full.:p

Edited by scridercoach

I live in Richmond Virginia, and aside from riding south fork mx near Petersburg, me and my buddies go to morgans corner proving grounds (Elizabeth city, nc) and NCMP ( Henderson, NC) a good bit. In fact, me and two other guys are going to ncmp tomorrow.

I live in the Lowcountry, about 10 minutes from downtown Charleston. NC has many more good riding areas. Near me is mostly flat sandy stuff through planted forest. I ride what I have, because it's good practice (40 miles of super winding sand trails at Wambaw), but for real fun trips my nephew and I go to Georgia or NC. All the good places are 3-4 hours from here.

Don't get me wrong, incredibly nice area to live. But for riding choices are limited. Coming from the mountainous West you are in for a sad awakening if you come here.

Edited by LSHD

On 7/10/2017 at 10:00 AM, Amd241997 said:

I'm also looking to start up a dealership with a service department for bikes and atv's to get the shop running

That should be what you concentrate on. Realize that if you locate near any large metro city in either state, there are going to be big money super dealerships there already. If you are doing some kind of specialization, that may not matter as much. When it comes to riding areas, you'll quickly realize that you aren't in Utah anymore. I'm prejudiced to SC over the two for a plethora of reasons, but I like NC too, especially the further away you get from the urban population centers. Good luck!