1999 XR 600 Graphics

Hey everybody I'm new to TT but have been around XR's my whole life. Just recently bought a 1999 XR 600 and am looking to see if anyone knows where/if I can find the Factory Effex graphics that are currently on the bike. They have some rips and tears and the adhesive is wearing out. I guess I could just glue them back on but if I could find a new set I would love to get them. I have been looking online with no luck. Thanks for any assistance! I have attached a picture for reference, but if it does not come up the bike is my profile picture

Mark

600.jpg

1 hour ago, notoriousE-R-I-C said:

Just go to a shop that makes vinyl signs. Theyll make you five for the oem price of one. Same graphics, same material. I know one in San Diego if you want. They can wrap your whole car...

Holes for gas fume escapage? Have you tried any on the plastic tanks or know of someone? How long were they on for? Did they develope bubbles? Maybe glue is better?

Edited by bork

3 hours ago, Mharlow10 said:

Hey everybody I'm new to TT but have been around XR's my whole life. Just recently bought a 1999 XR 600 and am looking to see if anyone knows where/if I can find the Factory Effex graphics that are currently on the bike. They have some rips and tears and the adhesive is wearing out. I guess I could just glue them back on but if I could find a new set I would love to get them. I have been looking online with no luck. Thanks for any assistance! I have attached a picture for reference, but if it does not come up the bike is my profile picture

Mark

600.jpg

I got the same way back also, I keep super gluing rips a tears too.  https://www.lowes.com/pd/LOCTITE-Multipurpose-Adhesive/3033133. These covers from Bolivia look durable. They also have decals, but dont know if they hold up? http://www.boliviaxport.com/44-tank-cover

Edited by bork
added link

They can make anything for anything. I doubt its their first plastic tank wrap. Thats far from the hardest thing, one could do it themselves. 

Dont know how much they are oem. Or if they're even still available. If that other place has good stuff, Id go with the people who have been doing exactly what I need for years. 

I am just giving a no other option-option. Print shops can do alot. Machinery is getting better. 

Yes, the print/vinyl shops and machines are amazing! BUT the big test is whether they hold up to the fumes breathing thru the plastic tanks. I know a shop who says he is going to start offering them on Ebay but I still question the fume resistance.

Small drillbit drill a hundred holes! It wont be seen.

Just an idea. I had custom vinyls made for my rmz. Has a design I wanted, my #, even my signature! Lasted for years.

But to what youre saying, the front fenders are not the gas tank. So this process wasn't needed for my front decals. For an old xr it will.

Edited by notoriousE-R-I-C

My graphics have the holes and they bubbled after a few days. Applied on the tank before fuel was ever added too.

Whos brand? or did they come from sign graphics maker shop?

1 hour ago, ScottRNelson said:

I have the same & I dont see  it in any of the google search. IIRC one of Scott Summers had them. I'll see if I cant find a better image. (I dont think I have any pics of mine & its in the other location, so I cant snap a shot)

on edit; only found one image. http://images.motorcycle-usa.com/photogallerys/large/summers-scott-MHOF-2014.jpg

on edit again: I just noticed, looks like an XR400r ?

Edited by bork

The last time I bought a Factory Effex sticker for an XR650L, it was to go on a white tank.  I couldn't find the one I wanted online, but I stopped by the local motorcycle shop and they looked it up in one of their parts books and found the one that I really wanted.  I ordered it from them.

That's another possibility.

It was this one:

Tank2_zpsf545f7c5.jpg

Thanks everybody for the responses. I've done google searches and looked at a couple sign companies and I guess that's an option if I can't find someone who has these graphics. I just didn't know if you anyone had any connections or knew where to find older graphics. Probably just gonna use some glue and hope it doesn't screw up the plastics

IMG_2873.PNG

Not sure if this photo is any better.

Mark

Yours looks better than mine. I did however stripe the seat accordingly like in Scott Summer's pic, with some black dye from automotive paint shop, and held up surprisingly great! Good luck on finding your new ones or patching.

24 minutes ago, cooldudesmd said:

Mine are FX as well. Tank was cleaned prior with acetone as well.

As another data point, I cleaned the outside of my tank about the same as I would for putting any other sticker on there.  Didn't do anything special other than making sure there was a clean surface to stick it to.  I put the stickers on there in 2009 and there weren't any bubbles or anything for about five years.  I have bubbles now, since the stickers are about eight years old, but no edges are peeling or anything.  The bubbles don't bother me enough that I feel the need to do anything about it.  The colors haven't faded at all.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ScottRNelson said:

As another data point, I cleaned the outside of my tank about the same as I would for putting any other sticker on there.  Didn't do anything special other than making sure there was a clean surface to stick it to.  I put the stickers on there in 2009 and there weren't any bubbles or anything for about five years.  I have bubbles now, since the stickers are about eight years old, but no edges are peeling or anything.  The bubbles don't bother me enough that I feel the need to do anything about it.  The colors haven't faded at all.

Is this on your Xr650l? Plastic or metal tank?

27 minutes ago, ScottRNelson said:

Plastic Clarke 4.7 gallon.  There wouldn't be any bubbling issue on a metal tank.

Sorry, thats why I was asking, to educate you. :prof: