Hello all, new to the forum here and I'm excited to get my first post up.

I am currently faced with the issue of progressing as a rider. I am 5'9" 155lbs and have been riding for about 4 years now. I currently own a 08 Honda crf230l and would say that I do mainly trail riding and enduro. I do commute to work occasionally but I wouldn't say that I absolutely need the street legal half, although it is convenient at hell. However I am at the point where I feel that I would progress much more as a rider with a different bike, for I feel that what I have isn't quite geared towards what I am doing. The bike almost feels heavy a lot of the time when riding and pretty unstable, especially around bends and gnarly terrain. Hills are always a challenge but the bike can chug its way up. I wouldn't say I'm a super aggressive rider, I'd say moderately aggressive, but then again that may be because of what I'm riding.

Maintenance is no issue, I've been around the block and have been able to manage anything the Honda threw at me so I'm not really worried about that.

My price range is anything under $3000

I was initially thinking about getting a trials bike to hone my skills in but now I'm thinking that I may just want to save my money and move toward a 2 stroke enduro bike, maybe something along the lines of 200 exc . I just don't want to have too much power and be out of control on the tight trails. I would consider a 4 stroke but from the research I've done, a 2 stroke with a heavier flywheel weight set-up is the best route, but I've never ridden one and don't know a ton about 2 strokes.

Any thoughts and input would be greatly appreciated.

5 hours ago, brianreed62 said:

Hello all, new to the forum here and I'm excited to get my first post up.

I am currently faced with the issue of progressing as a rider. I am 5'9" 155lbs and have been riding for about 4 years now. I currently own a 08 Honda crf230l and would say that I do mainly trail riding and enduro. I do commute to work occasionally but I wouldn't say that I absolutely need the street legal half, although it is convenient at hell. However I am at the point where I feel that I would progress much more as a rider with a different bike, for I feel that what I have isn't quite geared towards what I am doing. The bike almost feels heavy a lot of the time when riding and pretty unstable, especially around bends and gnarly terrain. Hills are always a challenge but the bike can chug its way up. I wouldn't say I'm a super aggressive rider, I'd say moderately aggressive, but then again that may be because of what I'm riding.

Maintenance is no issue, I've been around the block and have been able to manage anything the Honda threw at me so I'm not really worried about that.

My price range is anything under $3000

I was initially thinking about getting a trials bike to hone my skills in but now I'm thinking that I may just want to save my money and move toward a 2 stroke enduro bike, maybe something along the lines of 200 exc . I just don't want to have too much power and be out of control on the tight trails. I would consider a 4 stroke but from the research I've done, a 2 stroke with a heavier flywheel weight set-up is the best route, but I've never ridden one and don't know a ton about 2 strokes.

Any thoughts and input would be greatly appreciated.

Many people have had good success adding a flywheel weight to the yz250 to mellow out the hit. But that's an MX bike. KTM has an amazing line of off road models if you wanna save up. I think they are the XC models? 

KTM rules off road and trials IMO. And if your saying your mechanical experience is sound a 2 stroke would be an easy bike to wrench on. And relatively cheap for major maintenance. 

I don't think I'm alone in suggesting that a 2 stroke is better to improve skills on given the fact they feel lighter and more nimble. 

Thanks for the input. That is what I was looking into. As for a 2 stroke, would a 250 be too much to handle for a rider of my stature?

12 hours ago, brianreed62 said:

Thanks for the input. That is what I was looking into. As for a 2 stroke, would a 250 be too much to handle for a rider of my stature?

With 4 years of experience on a 230, you'd be fine moving to something like a KTM 250 XC-W.  It's going to be a lot more power, but you've mastered all the skills needed.  Just take it easy to start.  The 200 XC-W isn't a bad option either, but coming from a 230 that'll actually be a bigger change for you since it's a lot more peaky and can't be lugged/tractor end around as much.  Heck I'd even include the 300 XC-W in your search.  Total horsepower is the same as the 250 XC-W but it's got more down low and less up top.  They really can be lugged up the hills and are as near stall proof as you can get any bike.

It's not in your budget but the Beta Xtrainer sounds like an absolutely perfect fit for you.  It's slightly smaller than a normal full sized bike, has a detuned 300 2-stroke and it about 3/4 ways between a trials bike and Enduro bike.  

Doc

Edited by Doc_d