wr250f Draining oil without filter drain bolt

Hey guys, I have a quick question. Can I drain all of the oil out of my bike without removing the oil filter drain bolt? The last time I changed the oil, it seemed like the bolt was beginning to strip and I'm afraid if I take it out then it will strip for good.

Thanks,

Jay

You can never drain ALL the oil out during a routine oil change. There is always some coating everything, little puddles in the head and nook and crannies through out the engine. I do not change filters every oil change either, maybe every third or fourth.

A bolt that is being stripped from over tightening should be fixed. You klow you have a problem and should fix it now instead of waiting for it to be a problem at 9 PM on a Friday and post a question about stuffing the hole with JB Weld....

There are a few threads about fixing the hole with the special bolt (not really an oil filter drain bolt but it does lead to the cavity.) Proper installation of a Time-Sert or HeliCoil will fix it.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Jay762 said:

Can I drain all of the oil out of my bike without removing the oil filter drain bolt?

In answer to your question - yes. Use an oil sucker.

oil.jpg

I appreciate the info guys. Looks like I have to not be lazy and fix it. What exactly is the point of that allen bolt? It didn't seem like it held the oil filter cover on. 

Edited by Jay762

As far as I know, removing the bolt allows oil to drain from the oil filter cavity.

Removing it while changing the oil will get more oil out of the engine.

The problem with that bolt is when you drain you get debris from the filter in the hole. When you put the bolt back in all the debris damages the threads. Poor design. I think there is a thread on how to mod ajd pkug the hole. It did it to my older bikes that had this issue.

1 hour ago, mikedabike said:

The problem with that bolt is when you drain you get debris from the filter in the hole. When you put the bolt back in all the debris damages the threads. Poor design. I think there is a thread on how to mod ajd pkug the hole. It did it to my older bikes that had this issue.

Problem is your technique, not the connection design.  Use brake cleaner, spray out the inner cavity and all bolt holes BEFORE assembly.  That's the way I and most others do it.  Now, on another topic.......... if you are getting that much debris from your filter, you may have another issue going on.  Is it ferrous metal or aluminum?  Makes a difference.  Aluminum is most likely from side of the cylinder from cam chain slap... worn cam chain, needs replacement.  Ferrous metal may be bearings or other.  Also check your flywheel magnets NOW, and clean flywheel.

Problem is your technique, not the connection design.  Use brake cleaner, spray out the inner cavity and all bolt holes BEFORE assembly.  That's the way I and most others do it.  Now, on another topic.......... if you are getting that much debris from your filter, you may have another issue going on.  Is it ferrous metal or aluminum?  Makes a difference.  Aluminum is most likely from side of the cylinder from cam chain slap... worn cam chain, needs replacement.  Ferrous metal may be bearings or other.  Also check your flywheel magnets NOW, and clean flywheel.

We will have to disagree. Such a great design that the newer bikes have eliminated this bolt.