XR400R or XR250R U MUST BUILD 1!!!

That's the game gentlemen...

That's all that counts in this thread...!!

In the event some outlawed CRF230's and the only choice was build one of those 2 bikes... What are you picking and what are you doing to it ?!??!?

I have owned one xr400 and two xr250's and I don't know why I can't stop thinking about them... Maybe I'm trying to re-live my glory days (I HATE that Springsteen song btw) when I had the most fun riding in Michigan with a great group of friends...

Maybe my yz450 scares me too much... Maybe I'm a little tired of chasing suspension on my 230... 

But I can't stop thinking about those bikes like some girlfriend who left for Europe when we weren't supposed to be over yet ... That's crazy right there , romanticizing about dirt bikes gone bye...

I'm at work and can't write more till later... But that's the game... Pick one... Pick both ... And what are you going to do to it and why did pick it...

Even an XR250 requires suspension work, especially the oddball forks.  How about an XR250 with proper suspension and an e-start 223 pushed out to a 277?  I have never ridden an XR400 but I have spent plenty of time on XR250s and XL600 and XR600 so I can not and will not comment.  However, I have heard many riders ask if the XR400 an oversized and overweight XR250 or an undersized and underpowered XR600.  I think a few tests have also shown XR280 outperformed XR440 but I am not 100% sure of the contexts(s) of the comparisons.

No one bike can do it all, though the old KDX came pretty close...

Edited by VortecCPI
  • Like 1

Between a XR250 and XR400?  Oh, no question.  400 all day long.

The ONLY advantage the 250 has is less weight.  And it's not an astronomical amount less:  about 15 pounds.  It has the same high seat height, and still feels tall and top-heavy like a 400, albeit to a slightly lesser degree.

But a 400 has a YYUUUUGGE amount more power and torque, all without losing the ability to lug extremely low in the rpm.  And it has a much better suspension in stock form, as well as the ability to very easily (and cheaply) be modified into quite a nice ride.  

The significant power and suspension improvements FAR outweigh the little bit extra weight.  The 250 is still no lightweight, and quite a bear to pick up after you've dumped it.

400 all day, every day, IMO.

Now, XR400 versus 230?  THAT'S a tough decision.  Trust me, I own both and have to make the choice every time I go ride.  :D

If not for the E-start and low seat height, I wouldn't give the 230 any thought at all.  It's far inferior to the 400 in regards to power, suspension, and overall design / toughness.  But the magic button, low seat height, and (to a lesser extent) the lighter weight (a full 30 pounds lighter), makes it a much better choice for really tight, hard, challenging trails where I find myself on the ground about as much as on the bike.  

The 400 would certainly fair better in a pro's hands on those types of trails, but I promise (from experience) that the minute you dump the 400 on one of those trails, or get stuck on some nasty uphill, or have to kick it on an off-camber trail with the uphill on your right, you will pray and wish to the dirt bike gods that you were on a 230 instead.

But, for every other type of riding I've ever done, more 'general' type double track and such, the 400 is a far better and more comfortable bike to ride.  No comparison.

So it really depends on what I was doing as to which I choose.  If I absolutely had to pick only 1, it'd be the 400.  It's really superior in every "measurable" way.  It's only when it's upside down down a mountain side that it really, really sucks.  LoL.

• Like 5

Awesome kick off gentlemen....

Remember.... In this post apocalyptic simulation... There are NO 2 stroke oil supplies... hahaha.. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, sneaky98gt said:

Between a XR250 and XR400?  Oh, no question.  400 all day long.

The ONLY advantage the 250 has is less weight.  And it's not an astronomical amount less:  about 15 pounds.  It has the same high seat height, and still feels tall and top-heavy like a 400, albeit to a slightly lesser degree.

But a 400 has a YYUUUUGGE amount more power and torque, all without losing the ability to lug extremely low in the rpm.  And it has a much better suspension in stock form, as well as the ability to very easily (and cheaply) be modified into quite a nice ride.  

The significant power and suspension improvements FAR outweigh the little bit extra weight.  The 250 is still no lightweight, and quite a bear to pick up after you've dumped it.

400 all day, every day, IMO.

Now, XR400 versus 230?  THAT'S a tough decision.  Trust me, I own both and have to make the choice every time I go ride.  :D

If not for the E-start and low seat height, I wouldn't give the 230 any thought at all.  It's far inferior to the 400 in regards to power, suspension, and overall design / toughness.  But the magic button, low seat height, and (to a lesser extent) the lighter weight (a full 30 pounds lighter), makes it a much better choice for really tight, hard, challenging trails where I find myself on the ground about as much as on the bike.  

The 400 would certainly fair better in a pro's hands on those types of trails, but I promise (from experience) that the minute you dump the 400 on one of those trails, or get stuck on some nasty uphill, or have to kick it on an off-camber trail with the uphill on your right, you will pray and wish to the dirt bike gods that you were on a 230 instead.

But, for every other type of riding I've ever done, more 'general' type double track and such, the 400 is a far better and more comfortable bike to ride.  No comparison.

So it really depends on what I was doing as to which I choose.  If I absolutely had to pick only 1, it'd be the 400.  It's really superior in every "measurable" way.  It's only when it's upside down down a mountain side that it really, really sucks.  LoL.

This is all so VERY well stated...

I will have pros and cons of both bikes when I get enough time..

I had one time on a particularly long ride on my 400....  I was spent... Shot...  Toast... 5 miles to go... Basically tipped over in sand whoops... Left leg stuck under bike... And I thought as I relaxed in the warm sand...

Ohhhhhhhhh Yeahhhhhhh Baby, this feels gooooooood! No effort required to lay here...!! I don't know if I have the strength left to get my leg out... Maybe I can catch a quick nap here... Shit!! The fuel will just drain on my leg!! Oh Lord, give me strength!!!

Edited by mixxer
  • Like 1

On xr250 vs 400, 400 suspension needs very little work and is bigger, taller, heavier, than early nineties 250. 400 is harder to kick where 250 is like kick starting butter.  250 seat is like a couch but forks not great.  Fuel range is only ten percent less for stock 400. The 400 is the best XR made in many respects like oil cooling.  Great bikes for Baja.

A lowered e-start 400 would be pretty good but not as friendly as the little girl 230.

• Like 2

I think if you do a lot of riding you need two bikes.  One with low small short chassis and grunty engine like proper XR200/CRF230 and one with big long tall chassis with big power like XR400/600 or WR450.  Or TT680 in Larry's case...

Then again...  Perhaps we need three bikes...  And let's not forget about those killer trials bike...

Now I know why Chuck has so many...

• Like 2

I like this topic! Is there a budget? That will most likely make my mind up as to what can be modified.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ricky racer said:

I like this topic! Is there a budget? That will most likely make my mind up as to what can be modified.

No budget... Lol...230 is the most extensive and expensive bike to completely mod...  We all have those, so no sense putting a budget on these😎

Mod away... We're just building bikes on paper for fun anyway ☺️

• Like 1

Since you won't let me stockpile Belray, I'd have to say the xr400 would be the bike of choice. This based on the same premise that fuel quality will also be a concern. The 400 bone stock has like 9.3:1 piston in it. One of those if it's flammable I think it'll run on it pour it in things.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, stevethe said:

A properly very built later model XR250/300cc will punish a XR400. Ask the needle he knows. Never touched the suspension. 

Both xr250s I had were 280s and all I did to suspension on the first one was go up one step on spring stiffness on the forks... now there is not much selection for springs for one...

Personally I loved the suspension for woods/off-road... Sucked up all the square edged stuff and worked well in sand whoops too... No complaints at all...

280 piston with single layer head gasket... HotCams... Porting.. fmf slipon with stock headpipes ... Both of them... Reliable as a brick and wonderfully broad powerband... 

Great brakes and great ergos.... Overall very competent machines...

Side note... Modded 4 strokes with bigger bores and higher compression make good vacuum pulses to the carb ... Less main jet still delivers more fuel.. they jetted in with 120 mains

Edited by mixxer
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, stevethe said:

We ran hugh 380 main jets in the flat slide Mukuni's. The trick was aerating the fuel with a .9 or so air correction jet. 

You must have stock in mikuni Corp Steve...

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, stevethe said:

You should see the jet box. 

I'm sure it's on rollers and says CRAFTSMAN on it

• Like 4

I've never ridden a 400, but I'm 95% sure I'd take a 250, especially if I can mod it. I rode a later model xr250r with a "Honda race head kit". It is a friend's bike and he didn't divulge all of the specs, but it definitely had higher compression, a cam, and a good flowing head. Even with a stock exhaust and a smaller muffler outlet (he likes quiet bikes), it still had good torque literally from idle to around 8k. He had it geared so you can lug it in 4th gear on easier single track trails.
I'm small in stature and can't man handle most bikes, so the 400 would just be too much for me to handle on long rides.

• Like 2