Edelbrock - Accelerator pump

i thought my accel pump was playing up so took the carb off to have a look see. Can't work out how to get the plunger out.

Mine had a screw each side of the pump assembly but not sure what they were doing, maybe a missing plate holding the pump innards in or were the edges of each screw holding it in ?

Edel2.JPG

The pic is a bit fuzzy but by the look of it id say that the screw heads hold the innards in. best way to check is put a screw in and see where the head lands.

does that bowel fit the stock carby or is it off an aftermarket one??? if it fits the stock one its a real good upgrade!

yeah i think the screw holds it together but i would then expect the innards to come out, but even with some gentle persuasion it's not budging.

> does that bowel fit the stock carby or is it off an aftermarket one??? 

i really doubt it. the top part has a matching hole and a jet the fires a squirt of petrol down the venturi. if you had the bottom end with the pump, i expect you could modify the top with care. it's a bit agricultural really, but without it the bike is a PITA to start as there is no choke.

IF the guts wont come out maybe try to warm up the bowel with a heat gun to expand it and ice on the guts to shrink it they would be a very neat fit.

I have used this trick to fit wheel bearings in a car with the bearing cold and the bearing holder hot the bearing drops strait in piece of p.

thought about applying some heat but the ali insert will expand quicker than the steel bowl - hard to control that. it's the opposite way round to what you'd want it to be for heat to help

that's why the ICE on the guts after heating. alloy will cool faster to might not work it was just a thort

the next best thing I can think of to get it out is ask the manufacturer theyd know.  did you try putting fuel in the bowel off the carb and pump the pump to see if its working?

i did put fuel in the bowl and it seemed to work ok with no leaks, but the other day it was impossible to start and i thought i saw a leak around the rubber cover, but it works fine on the bench. so i think i won't push trying to get it apart, will reassemble and see what happens.

i have the standard carb to go back to if needed but i love the edelbrock for sheer grunt from low revs.

if the pumps working but still giving problems maybe the passage in the top half is blocked?? try put the bowel back on and fuel in with the carb off and see if it squirts down the venturi ????

yeah did that - seemed all ok - maybe it had some dirt in it, i tend to give it a good going over with carb cleaner before i take it apart.

just waiting on new throttle cables to be made as both were a bit frayed by the nipple (ooh er missus)

• Like 1

maybe  if its a similar set up to the xl250 carb the fuel pump has 2 little one way valves  one for in and one for out wouldent take much grit to block them.

do you have a soldering iron??? you can get universal make your own cables with brass ends  easy to do?? just a thort.