Clutch cable brands

To my amusement, my clutch cable decided it wanted to divorce itself and separated unannounced. The kicker was, it was during city traffic lol! So it brings me to this topic.

I've searched a bit here and google, but haven't seemed to find out what clutch cable brand to go for. Some of my friends swear by OEM and others swear by moose racing or motion pro.. I figure the TT store sells motion pro so that would be the more typical brand to go for. Any one have suggestions or experience with the different brands? Like which will withstand stretching and abuse?

I appreciate your time!

oem is typically best, sometimes coming with the rubber boots and stuff and often the correct length for the lever and bike not a somewhat universal fit. Motion pro can have a couple different quality levels and you sort of get what you pay for.  Clutch and throttle cable should be replace before they break at some interval. So if you buy a cheaper one you might just wanna change it more often, they all do the same thing. .02. 

Edited by highmarker

I'd say get OEM. And lube it next time.

Lmao oh i do (did) lube the heck out of it.. Its just been through 3 owners... And its also 11 years old (if its the original) so that may be why it split..

oem is typically best, sometimes coming with the rubber boots and stuff and often the correct length for the lever and bike not a somewhat universal fit. Motion pro can have a couple different quality levels and you sort of get what you pay for.  Clutch and throttle cable should be replace before they break at some interval. So if you buy a cheaper one you might just wanna change it more often, they all do the same thing. .02. 

Thanks for the thoughts on getting a throttle set as well haha the TT store sells motion pro on both.. I'll have to find a dealership somewhere around here I guess to see if they sell oem ones..

5 hours ago, TheLittleYellowThatCould said:

I'll have to find a dealership somewhere around here I guess to see if they sell oem ones..

ThumperTalk is a Suzuki dealer

I bought 2 motion pro cables, first one didnt last too long cause i forgot to lube it, but this one is still going strong, no frays that are visible. Have probably 6k mi on this one

• Like 1

I bought 2 motion pro cables, first one didnt last too long cause i forgot to lube it, but this one is still going strong, no frays that are visible. Have probably 6k mi on this one

Lol not sure what mine is as of yet, but mine didn't have any visible frays either.. But I felt it just pop/snap. Must be in the sheathing lol

I use Barnette Clutch Cables when I need a custom cable made. They are fast and inexpensive and produce a good quality cable made.

They have made me cables for my 09 SM610 and 99TE610 and 16 WR250R

2 I needed longer cables and one had heat damage when I bought the bike and Barnette added extra heat shield to that part of the cable at my request.

good people

Motionpro. User them on many of my bikes  no issues  ever

You can extend the life of almost any cable with regular maintenance 

• Like 2