1985 XR600 18" rear wheel conversion

Hi, I'm new to the forums

I have inherited my dad's old '85 XR600R. The bike is in outstanding condition, but it is getting really hard to find a decent selection of 17" rear tyres, so I am currently running a Kenda Big Block. Which is a DOT approved knobbly.

I have had a search and it seems the most common thing is to find the rear wheel from an 88 XR600 which has the same hub but with an 18" wheel. The problem I have is that these bikes are incredibly scarce in New Zealand. So I had a look at the rear wheel from a CRF230F from circa 2013. It looks like it runs the same brake drum hub and it seems that the brake shoes are the same as my old XR600R.

My question is this. Do you think that the rear wheel from the CRF230 would fit? Unfortunately the 2 bikes are no longer sharing a stable (or a country for that matter) so I can't test it. Or is the CRF230's rim or possibly even the hub too narrow?

IMG_20160823_141156.jpg

You are right, you can still get some. But the selection is very poor. If I want a proper off road/MX style tyre I have 2 choices.

1.  IRC VE33 Vulcanduro (this will probably be what I end up getting)

2. There are several of the same Chinese tyres that have been re-branded as Dragon, Kiwi-X or Mitroc. These are rated as farm tyres

Sadly no option to get a Bridgestone, Michelin, Pirelli or any other well known brands.

Yes I just found that too. I would still just like to find out if the CRF230 wheel would just slot into the back of my XR.

From what I can see the 17x450 converts roughly to 120/90 17 which should be fine for now. But I do wonder how much longer I will be able to get 17" tyres. They are getting to be a bit scarce.

Edited by McDoof

Why don't you just get a 18" rim and a set of spokes and lace up the new rim?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mcma111 said:

That is definitely an option. 

5 hours ago, mcma111 said:

I will start getting part numbers for the '88 XR600 spokes and see what availability is like. Then price up a replacement rim locally. I will probably have to get a bigger sprocket too. The gearing on the bike is already pretty tall.

As luck would have it there is an 18" XL500s rim for sale at a reasonable price. :thumbsup:

Now I just need some spokes

Wrong island, both of ya!

Have mucked around with old honda rear wheels a bit, most seen fairly similar, except that the 'nose' on the brake varies, usually longer on smaller cc bikes.

• Like 1

Wrong Island aye?

How's the weather today down your way? :-)

• Like 2

The klr 650 is still a 17 inch rear tire isn't it That was or is still popular outside the U.S.

Is shipping insane from California to you ?

3 hours ago, bobcan said:

The klr 650 is still a 17 inch rear tire isn't it That was or is still popular outside the U.S.

Is shipping insane from California to you ?

I would imagine shipping would be pretty expensive for something like a tyre.

The KLR is also an adventure bike. There is still a bit of a selection of dual sport tyres available.

I am planning on using my bike for more off road trail riding and possibly some enduro riding. So looking at more of an aggressive MX style off road tread.

S.O.A.N.Z. has pointed out that there is a Vee Rubber tyre available here that will suit the purpose for now. But there is a much bigger selection of tyres in 18"

I know this is not the for sale place BUT I have a 1989 xr600r rear wheel and brake assembly. Not sure what shipping is from Washington state to you.........I would be very reasonable on the price as I upgraded to a disc. PM me if your interested.

• Like 2

Used to use Vulcanduro for trail riding in rocky/shale conditions, as they would outlast ANYTHING.

Cant comment on road manners, cant imagine being all that flash tho!

PS, had a lovely calm, albeit chilly day in Nelson, looking at the snow in the distance.

I   hear the Jafa's are copping it at the moment........

• Like 1