Engine oil

No doubt both oils pictured are good products but,

you are paying a mark-up because these are marketed specifically at the motorcycle crowd.

Shell Rotella as an example, either the mineral T4 15W-40 or synthetic T6 5W-40 are both wet clutch safe,

likely equal in lubricating performance yet available for half the price if purchased by the gallon.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

Most oil marketers have web sites with specs on their oils so you can compare hight temp viscosity, cold temp pour, flash points, etc. Makes it easy to compare oils.  However some buy their products from bottlers and do not publish specs so you don't know what the oil is or what's in it.  Honda is like that, don't know about the other bike mfgs.

Rotella is a fleet service oil blended to provide long engine life for fleet operators. Others are Chevron Delo and Mobil Delvac. I started using fleet service oils (Delo) in cars back in the early 90s when because of rural living and teenage drivers I had a fleet of cars. Anyway I got 200k-250k miles out of those cars before selling and none of them burned oil. I also use that oil in my diesels.

But oil technology has been changing over the years and I'm sure the latest synthetics are better than the dino oils from the 90s. The problem is emissions and mileage requirements have change car oils so for transmission/clutch you need to make sure the oil is JASO rated for wet clutches, or use ATF.  Engine side is easier and I would choose any good synthetic with the API rating specified in the owner's manual.

• Like 1