Battery solution for parking garage

So I live in a condo, and so I have to keep my bike in the parking garage where there are no outlets. If I'm. It gonna ride it for a few days, I have to take the battery out and put it on a tender upstairs so it doesn't die. This is a pain. Does anyone else have this issue?

My 07 S model can sit for 3 weeks + and still startup easily. You may have one or all of these issues causing your problem. 1 the stock dash/gauge unit draws current from the battery when sitting. Mine has been replaced with a Trailtech dash which draws very little. 2 the charging system needs to be charging close to or over 14 volts. Has the free power mod. been done on the Bike? That can make a significant  difference in the charging volts and help to keep the battery fully charged.  3 the battery needs to be in good shape. Any good shop should be able to properly test it.

There should be no need for a tender if all these are good, though some claim a battery will last longer if it's kept on a tender.

• Like 1

A few weeks should not be a problem unless it is very cold or/and the battery is getting old.

Mine would sometimes sit a month in the winter (lukewarm - 45 degree) in my garage.

• Like 1

Well I don't really have a battery issue, I'm just trying to prevent one. I was just told that I shouldn't leave the battery sitting in the bike for more than a week straight if I'm not going to be riding around. 

But thanks for your info! I'll look into the free power mod. 

actually all you need to do is lift a cable off the battery and it will be fine for a month or so, its leaving it connected to the bike that dumps it .. a new battery will take the punishment of sitting for awhile even connected to the bike, but its a good recipe to kill it before its time, i wouldnt let it sit connected to the bike i learned thats a bad idea unless you just want to buy a new battery every year .. in any case whether you ride it or not, disconnected or not, i'd put it on a tender every couple of weeks to a month to keep it conditioned..

Edited by cowpie
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, mosjef said:

Well I don't really have a battery issue, I'm just trying to prevent one. I was just told that I shouldn't leave the battery sitting in the bike for more than a week straight if I'm not going to be riding around. 

But thanks for your info! I'll look into the free power mod. 

Another option if your keeping the stock dash/speedo, is to wire in a toogle switch to the wire that keeps the battery power to the dash. Shutting that power off to the dash will keep eraseing the memory, but no longer drain the battery.

I use one of the waterproof solar panels that has the same quick connect as a battery tender. Currently I don't have my bike where I have power to it, (outside) its been working great for me so far! 

That's kind of cool
Though i don't think that would help the the OP in his underground parking

44 minutes ago, bucket list said:

That's kind of cool
Though i don't think that would help the the OP in his underground parking

The one I bought seems to work well enough that even under low light conditions it gives off some charge.  My theory is any bit helps. 

• Like 2

the simple answer is you don't have a problem. if your only letting the bike sit for a week then you don't need to do anything. you don't need to disconnect the battery, charge it or wire in a switch. if your battery is dying within a week then you have problems but as you said "Well I don't really have a battery issue, I'm just trying to prevent one". if your not riding for several months it would be a good idea to charge it.

6 hours ago, Krannie McKranface said:

Lithium Ion batteries don't need 'charging' 

Only if they don't have a draw on them,they'll often stay charged for up to a year.But it's different on a drz with the battery connected,even a LiFePo4 type they will drain out like any other battery due to the draw from the instrument cluster and then you have to recharge it too.The only way around it is to make damn sure there's zero draw by disconnecting a lead.

• Like 2