XR650L Kick-Start mod: splitting the case

Almost have all the bits to add a kick-start to my 2013 XR650L. 2nd & 5th gear mod while I'm in there.

My question is regarding splitting the case.

Option #1: Some guys go in all from the clutch side, laying the flywheel side down & clutch side up when they split the case. This requires disassembling everything right of the clutch basket (oil pump, etc.) to split.

Option #2: If I have access to a flywheel puller, is there any merit to only taking the clutch basket off on the clutch side, and then laying the clutch side down, flywheel side up, pulling the flywheel, and then splitting the case from this direction? Seems like it would require less disassembly/reassembly this way? Am I totally off here? I'll have the flywheel cover off anyway during this job (for some paint work), so I'll already be into that gasket anyway.

Just wanting to glean insight from you guys who have done it, and what you have learned in the process. Tons of good walk-thru's here on TT for this, and I'm eating them all up. Just haven't see this specific question addressed yet.

Which of these two options would be most straight-forward, & least problematic, with least disassembly required?

IMG_6213.thumb.JPG.e3894b32a500e26a2aabbd514ca7ce14.JPG

IMG_5904.thumb.JPG.dbdc80caffdf4101d868ba35c9546945.JPG

IMG_5907.thumb.JPG.e6b122ea48c6a3e7b4d59ab4f70ea011.JPG

Hm never done it that way before...if you're able to pull the flywheel without using a clutch holding tool I don't see why not. My flywheel was torqued so hard that I needed to use the clutch holder to keep it from rotating when I loosened the flywheel. If you had a really heavy duty impact driver you may be able to do it without incident. I say go for it, but like I mentioned, I've never done it that way before.

• Like 1

I don't think disassembling all the parts on the right side of the engine is that big of a deal, the clutch basket nut is torqued pretty hard as well as the crankshaft nut, but the rest comes off pretty easily. I'd give the flywheel side a try first and if that doesn't work you may need to get your hands dirty on the other side!

8 minutes ago, mcma111 said:

Ever look at a factory service manual?

Well, that's why I wanted to hear from the guys who have done this, because the pics I posted above ARE from my service manual (cyclepedia, so not the same as the factory S.M., I know).  Glad you pitched in mcma111 - the link you posted has pretty much had a permanent place in my browser bar over the past couple of months as I've been tracking down bits & pieces I'll need for this job.  Your opinion is greatly appreciated.

Well just because someone pulled the left side case off doesn't mean they could actually pull the transmission and reinstall it. I have done many of the XR engines and it's always been from the right side. Good Luck.

On 7/11/2017 at 4:28 PM, mcma111 said:

That must have been a ton of work re-linking all of those photobucket links!  (What is Photobucket thinking!!). Thanks for keeping that post going - it's an invaluable resource for us guys cracking our cases for the first time.

Edited by CongoXR650L