YZ250 ran with about 500ml of oil in gearbox

Yes, I screwed up the oil change because I filled oil until it poured out of the oil check bolt.
I put about 400-450ml and when it started to pour I thought all was good.

I measured the quantity of oil that what came out and it turned to be about 650ml. (Last time I made the oil change, I put in a measured 750 ml)

The thing is, I was riding the bike in a pretty fast section, in 4th or 5th gear. And then I heard some screeching noise while I was under compression and braking slightly.
I stopped and inspected my brakes for debris, there was mud, removed it. Restarted and no noise anymore. So I though all was good.
Later in the ride, still in a fast section, I think I heard the noise again, but less strong.

Sooooo, could I have done damage to my transmission by having only about 450-500ml of oil in it?

Drain the oil and check for metallic debris,

tilt the bike from side to side to get every last drop out.

Edited by mlatour

The same thing happened to three bikes in our group; 2 were okay once the proper amount of oil was in the gearbox. 1 had to have bearings replaced. Lots of similar situations have been posted here. Some guys get lucky, others... not so much.

Add oil to your bike and see if it still makes noise. If it doesn't, ride it, but plan on replacing trans bearings some time in the future. If it still makes noise, it's Teardown Time.

Good luck, and keep us informed with what you find. :thumbsup:

• Like 3

Why in the world would they put the oil check bolt so much lower than the required oil. I did the same thing not too long ago. I put in measured amount of 750ml. Checked the oil check bolt and oil was pouring out. I thought i put too much oil in there so i let some drain out. I think from now on, im just going to put in the recommended 750ml no matter. Piss poor design by Yamaha. 

1 hour ago, Dconer1 said:

Why in the world would they put the oil check bolt so much lower than the required oil. I did the same thing not too long ago. I put in measured amount of 750ml. Checked the oil check bolt and oil was pouring out. I thought i put too much oil in there so i let some drain out. I think from now on, im just going to put in the recommended 750ml no matter. Piss poor design by Yamaha. 

Been discussed a million times as there are over a million YZ250's built from 1998 for 99 model year and they have not, and will not retool it. The 125 is wrong also on some if not most engines. 

Always drain, and put in measured amount and you'll be fine.

On 7/11/2017 at 6:01 AM, sebasYam said:

Yes, I screwed up the oil change because I filled oil until it poured out of the oil check bolt.
I put about 400-450ml and when it started to pour I thought all was good.

I measured the quantity of oil that what came out and it turned to be about 650ml. (Last time I made the oil change, I put in a measured 750 ml)

The thing is, I was riding the bike in a pretty fast section, in 4th or 5th gear. And then I heard some screeching noise while I was under compression and braking slightly.
I stopped and inspected my brakes for debris, there was mud, removed it. Restarted and no noise anymore. So I though all was good.
Later in the ride, still in a fast section, I think I heard the noise again, but less strong.

Sooooo, could I have done damage to my transmission by having only about 450-500ml of oil in it?

Possible, but I doubt it. You would have to do it for many hours (years of owning and riding) to really mess it up. Keep the recommended in it, and keep and ear to the trans. A bike I bought a while back, (think it was a 2001) had low oil, and probably always did. Trans was smoked brown, clutch plates and disc looked like they had been through a fire. Bike still ran and didn't make noise, but it got all new trans bearings, mains, and clutch kit before it left my shop as a restoration I stand by. Think that was about 2-3 years ago.

1 minute ago, P84ONE said:

Been discussed a million times as there are over a million YZ250's built from 1998 for 99 model year and they have not, and will not retool it. The 125 is wrong also on some if not most engines. 

Always drain, and put in measured amount and you'll be fine.

Possible, but I doubt it. You would have to do it for many hours (years of owning and riding) to really mess it up. Keep the recommended in it, and keep and ear to the trans. A bike I bought a while back, (think it was a 2001) had low oil, and probably always did. Trans was smoked brown, clutch plates and disc looked like they had been through a fire. Bike still ran and didn't make noise, but it got all new trans bearings, mains, and clutch kit before it left my shop as a restoration I stand by. Think that was about 2-3 years ago.

Mine is a 2017 and its still wrong.

23 minutes ago, Dconer1 said:

Mine is a 2017 and its still wrong.

Yep, it sure is, if you had an 18 it would be wrong also. Bothers you? Send it to me. LOL Year model 99 forward, the engine (right case/outer) has not been changed since 2002. 99-2001 was same except for kick start shaft diameter. No other changes have been made, and will not be made until the engine actually changes. 

• Like 1

I dumped the oil today and it looked normal.
Only the usual metal shimmering (it looks like that every oil change).
There was no apparent bigger than normal metallic debris...

I did not have the time to ride yet...

• Like 3

Like someone else already said.  Ride it.  If it makes noise, you will have to address the problem.  If it does not, just keep riding until it does (and hope it doesn't). 

Also, a bit of advice--overfilling a transmission is not really a problem (within reason), as the transmission on all smokers that I'm aware of is vented (on the YZ it is a black tube exiting from the cases near the rear base of the cylinder).  It's not like you are going to over pressurize the system or anything like that, and the gears normally ride in the oil bath.  In fact, I normally dump in roughly 750-800 ml just to be safe.  

• Like 2

What oil check bolt?  I have hundreds upon hundreds of hrs on YZ250s never removed this bolt :ride:.. I just pour a new 750ml of Rotella in the case every 5-8 hrs. How hard is that?  I mean it's stamped right on the covers..Buy a $2 measuring cup IDK..

You would probably notice clutch issues befor the tranny went dry... Tough tranny on the YZs.

Edited by Nevada Al
  • Like 3

I love thumpertalk.  Drained my oil last night in my 250X thinking I had some more gear saver in the garage. Got home from work just now and can't find it. I really did not want to get back in the truck to fight traffic to buy some more. Came inside, looked for two minutes on TT and found out I can use any one of about five things I have in the garage. Gonna go with the T6.😊

• Like 4

To follow up on my story, I had a good 1 hour and 30 minutes ride this weekend (a fast one, 4th, 5th gear pinned very often) and the transmission acted as normal, and no strange sound.

Rethinking about it, I think there was about 350-400 ml of oil in it when I ran it with not enough oil.

Phew! It all looks good after all.

• Like 1

I know of a YZ 125 that was rebuilt and long story short was ran 6 hrs with no gear box oil the bike had no issues for over two years till it was sold and after this incident it was moto'ed hard . Sure al;ways put the correct in it . But , I would not sweat it .