Radiator-style oil cooler mounting

I'm trying to help my friend decide how to mount an oil cooler from a TRX400 on his XR400SM, which does not come stock with an oil cooler like those found on the 400r.

We were thinking of three locations:

1. Vertically mounted along the chassis behind the front fender. (Would have to cut the fender for clearance).

IMG_20170704_175227_zpsijr5xih0.jpg

IMG_20170704_175217_zpss97rckcp.jpg

2. Horizontally mounted on the top of the chassis.

IMG_20170704_174147_zpstbt07ia6.jpg

IMG_20170704_174132_zpsafrn4afz.jpg

3. Horizontally mounted on the bottom of the chassis. (Would have to build it a cage to prevent damage from rocks, debris).

IMG_20170704_173912_zpss9ldsk3c.jpg

IMG_20170704_173848_zpss9pkobha.jpg

The mounting tabs can be cut and re-welded. But the only other issue that concerns us is how to attach the lines so the oil is properly circulated.

Does anyone know if the oil pump is strong enough to force the oil from the bottom of the cooler to the top if mounted horizontally, or would it be better if mounted vertically?

By the look of it id say youd be best up the top horizontally  granted there is clearance from the forks/head stock. vertically with the frame I don't think youd get enough air flow and the heat from the oil tank would not help. could you get a 400r cooler would probably be an easyer fit???  as for the oil pump it should be good enough as the 400r cooler is mounted higher and id say the pump is the same...... just my 2 cents.....good luck with it and let us know how you went....cheers

• Like 1

No good in-between the header pipes - too much heat. or even near the header pipes. plus thats the drain plug there on the frame in one of the pics.

Plus if you build a cage - it will defeat the purpose of being an OIL COOLER - plus you would have to build an enclosed cage with the amount of crap coming off that front tire.

Could you mount anywhere under the headlight on top of the front guard - and maybe trim the bottom headlight shroud or would it get too hot ?

Have a look at this where they mounted theirs 

• Like 1