CRF-230 How to change jetting for Colorado (from Florida)?

Hello;

I have a 2005 CRF-230.  I live in Florida (100' elevation) and the bike currently runs perfect.  Opened-up airbox and exhaust, installed power-up kit (needle & jet).

Currently running 132 main jet.  Not sure where needle is set (will note when/if I change).

Going to Colorado next week (10,000' elevation).

Can someone give me a suggestion of a good starting point for how much to change for this trip?  130 or 128 main?  Lower needle 1 or 2 positions?

120 main jet ... The 132 is too rich even at sea level

34 minutes ago, Greenwrench said:

For that high I'd do like 42 pilot and 112-115 main needle 3rd clip .

Good call

The multiplier for 10,000 feet of elevation is 0.917.  If your bike is somehow working properly with 132 main and "Full Power" needle then the new main is 0.917 x 132 = 121 (120).  The pilot should be a 42 and the needle clip should be at #3 for optimum results.

However...  Almost all of us have found a 132 main is way too rich at sea level and we all use 118/120.  In that case the new main is 0.917 x 120 = 110.

I find it hard to believe your bike is running well with a 132 main.  Have you checked for proper float level?  Back when I tried the 132 main my engine was very flat on top.

Edited by VortecCPI

5 hours ago, VortecCPI said:

The multiplier for 10,000 feet of elevation is 0.917.  If your bike is somehow working properly with 132 main and "Full Power" needle then the new main is 0.917 x 132 = 121 (120).  The pilot should be a 42 and the needle clip should be at #3 for optimum results.

However...  Almost all of us have found a 132 main is way too rich at sea level and we all use 118/120.  In that case the new main is 0.917 x 120 = 110.

I find it hard to believe your bike is running well with a 132 main.  Have you checked for proper float level?  Back when I tried the 132 main my engine was very flat on top.

Thanks.  Yes, it is great with the 132 in FLorida.  I will try 120 in CO. 

Why does the power-up kit come with 132?  I notice on the Power-up thread there almost seems to be a split between the 120 and 132 users.  Is it possible that there are two different power-up needles?

I don't ride this bike myself, it's my kid's.  Haven't fussed with jetting since I installed kit last year.  I can't swear it is perfect, but no issues and plug doesn't foul.  I'd be afraid of blowing it up going from 132 to 120 at sea level.

I will take note of what needle and pilot I have when I change jet before trip next week.

15 years of the "Power up" kit they did not work 15 years ago or every single year since.

On July 11, 2017 at 8:42 AM, Still Bill said:

Hello;

I have a 2005 CRF-230.  I live in Florida (100' elevation) and the bike currently runs perfect.  Opened-up airbox and exhaust, installed power-up kit (needle & jet).

Currently running 132 main jet.  Not sure where needle is set (will note when/if I change).

Going to Colorado next week (10,000' elevation).

Can someone give me a suggestion of a good starting point for how much to change for this trip?  130 or 128 main?  Lower needle 1 or 2 positions?

Where exactly in Colorado? Not all riding areas are that high, I can give you exact elevation that will help you deciding your jetting.

12 minutes ago, morphrider said:

Where exactly in Colorado? Not all riding areas are that high, I can give you exact elevation that will help you deciding your jetting.

Crested Butte, Gunnison, Taylor Reservoir.

I am going with a bunch of people, but most are A riders.  Me and my boy are just C+ riders, but comfortable with hills.  We are staying about 2 miles north of Gunnison (I forget the town, but next to the river right where road turns north to Crested Butte.  Can you suggest where we should check out for riding after we get tired trying to keep up with the fast guys?  Mainly, I am afraid of falling off a cliff.  Don't mind a challenge, as long as there is no death penalty for falling. 

• Like 1

Looking at maps it sounds like Almont. You will be running 8'000 - 9'500 ft max I would think. Hopefully this helps out the guys who can help with jetting. I have never been down that way so I really can't suggest anything other than don't keep up with fast guys, enjoy the scenery. Way different than Florida. Remember this key tip though, there is not as much water in the air here compared to Florida. Pack water and drink even when you don't feel thirsty. And sunscreen...still need it.

2 hours ago, Still Bill said:

I am going with a bunch of people, but most are A riders.  Me and my boy are just C+ riders, but comfortable with hills.  We are staying about 2 miles north of Gunnison (I forget the town, but next to the river right where road turns north to Crested Butte.  Can you suggest where we should check out for riding after we get tired trying to keep up with the fast guys?  Mainly, I am afraid of falling off a cliff.  Don't mind a challenge, as long as there is no death penalty for falling. 

I was out in Rampart and Taylor Park 2 years ago with my XR200. Most of the single-track we did had "cliffs" at some point on the trail. We did Pitkin last year, which has a lot of good trails near their, but some are intermediate/expert. Timber Line is a long trail that is challenging, yet somewhat safer, depending on the section that you're riding. I've only ridden 2 short sections of it before. Pitkin elevation starts around 9k and some trails go up to 13k.

American flag trail is a popular and relatively easy trail, from what I remember, and is near Taylor Park Reservoir. Good views near/at the top.

Do you still have the stock '05 needle? I'd put that back in if you do and set it at the 3rd clip to start. I'm guessing a 42 pilot will work well at that elevation. If you're using the stock needle, I would probably start with a 115 main. The "power-up" needle usually requires a larger main based on what I've read (haven't used it myself though), so not sure what would be good with that needle. Post pics/video footage of the riding if you get a chance!

Edited by mx4god

17 hours ago, Still Bill said:

I am a born and raised Michigan off roader ...  Love hills and climbs of all sorts..

I lived a couple years in Washington state and boy oh boy do I NOT like cliffs... Way too much exposure for me...

On one 50ish mile ride I watched a good friend come 6" from flattracking his way to an early grave off a cliff...

That did it for me... We had about six miles of downhill to go and I decided I was playing a new game... I cut the motor and went about seeing if I could coast the 6 miles of switchbacks without motor... And I did...

Aaron was at the base when I came down and said he wondered what the hell happened to me... Said he was looking for me and kept seeing flashes of red but couldn't hear the engine on my 450X... Lol...

Another time I had taken the family on a 4wheel drive outing in my truck from Entiat to Lake Chelan....  Longest time frame of highest anxiety of my life... Could not wait to get back down to level ground.... Hated every second of it... Riding on cliff edges with no way to turn  around and no room for 2 vehicles...

I saw a dad on an xr100 and his 2 kids on 50s at a wider top section...  So obviously not everyone shares my dislike of "exposure on cliff edges"...lol

Thanks for the replies about jetting and Colorado specifics.

Yesterday, I tried changing from the 132 main jet to a 125 (still in Florida).  Bike seemed to have a little more pep (maybe) with 125. Seemed to hit the rev limiter easier on fast run on paved street (I guess that means it has more power).   Rode trails for half hour.  Brand new spark plug before riding - plug insulator was pure white afterwards!  This just from normal riding followed by slow ride back to house.  High speed plug chop test afterwards still bone white (obviously).  I think this means the 125 is too lean for Florida, right?

I think I will leave the 125 in for Colorado, and maybe lower needle 1 slot - at least until I see how it runs there.  I have a complete supply of jets to play with (110-135).  Comments and suggestions welcome.

• Like 1

Depends on what needle your using, where the clip is set in place, where your float level is set at, average temperature that you ride in, average altitudes you ride in, among many other factors, but those first two are the largest factor to consider first.

Also since you ride on the street a lot, at higher speeds, your NGK spark plug should have a "9" in the part number instead of an "8"

If your fuel is unleaded or ethanol blend (should be less than 10% ethanol) your spark plug reading will show lean way easier than rich.

If you run Ethanol free fuel, that would make your bike run more rich.

A wide band 0-2 sensor kit would enable you to jet your bike a lot easier than guessing...

• Like 1

I don't pay much attention to plug readings with modern pump gas.  It's not like it used to be.

First, I jet pilot for good starting and idle. Pilot is most critical.  Refer to sticky in TT jetting thread.  I like to end up with a pilot jet that requires three turns out on fuel screw at sea level, then when I go above 5,000', I can simply turn screw in a couple turns.

Then, I use Mikuni's roll-off method for main jet.  I run a couple sizes rich for better cooling in desert.   Finally, adjust needle position for best throttle response.

All assuming proper float level.

Edited by Baja Rambler
  • Like 1

On 7/17/2017 at 9:54 AM, Still Bill said:

Thanks for the replies about jetting and Colorado specifics.

Yesterday, I tried changing from the 132 main jet to a 125 (still in Florida).  Bike seemed to have a little more pep (maybe) with 125. Seemed to hit the rev limiter easier on fast run on paved street (I guess that means it has more power).   Rode trails for half hour.  Brand new spark plug before riding - plug insulator was pure white afterwards!  This just from normal riding followed by slow ride back to house.  High speed plug chop test afterwards still bone white (obviously).  I think this means the 125 is too lean for Florida, right?

I think I will leave the 125 in for Colorado, and maybe lower needle 1 slot - at least until I see how it runs there.  I have a complete supply of jets to play with (110-135).  Comments and suggestions welcome.

The only color on the plug will be way down at the bottom of the electrode.  Plugs don't color the same with today's no-lead oxygenated fuels.

http://kawtriple.com/mraxl/carb/plugchop.htm

So, I went to Colorado and we rode from 9,000 to 12,000 feet.  I left the 125 main jet in.  I lowered the pilot from 45 to 42, and I dropped the needle 1 groove.

Bike ran like crap when I got there.  I put the 45 pilot back in, and it ran great all week.

I think I will put the needle back where it was, and run a 130 main now in Florida.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

• Like 1

On 7/28/2017 at 10:32 AM, Still Bill said:

So, I went to Colorado and we rode from 9,000 to 12,000 feet.  I left the 125 main jet in.  I lowered the pilot from 45 to 42, and I dropped the needle 1 groove.

Bike ran like crap when I got there.  I put the 45 pilot back in, and it ran great all week.

I think I will put the needle back where it was, and run a 130 main now in Florida.

It sounds like a clogged fuel screw circuit or out of spec jets.

On 7/28/2017 at 1:32 PM, Still Bill said:

Sounds like the float level is too low.