Dual Sport CRF 230F Mods Advice

Hello everyone,

I am in the process of researching what upgrades and modifications will make my plated 230F the best all-around dual sport bike it can be for me, within a reasonable budget.

So far I have not done very much, just the basics:

Uncorked

Baja designs headlight / tail light

Front forks modified by Bruce

Bars, grips, hang guards

Dual sport tires that suit my style

Aside from the front forks recently being modified, I have been riding this bike for 5+ years in this configuration.

The next step I am going to take is either sending my rear shock to Bruce or purchasing a Hagon unit through him.

All of that out of the way, I would like to know what engine mods would provide me with the most usable and reliable power where I need it.

This bike is a daily driver and early morning/evening/weekend warrior so the terrain varies vastly from stop and go traffic, to 65mph highways, to technical deep-woods hill climbs out of the creek bed in the rain.

I need this bike to be my one and only bike that does a little of everything. I already own several other bikes for various uses and will be looking to part with them once this little 230F is setup properly and proven.

So in a nutshell - I would like for it to cruise at 65-70mph without wringing it's neck, possibly topping out around 80mph, all while having enough grunt to handle the tight, slow, and technical first gear hills and valleys I often find myself navigating.

Any experienced advice would be greatly appreciated!

Jeff

Jeff, it sounds like an awesome quest. Checkout the YouTube series by frickinjim. He has a very detailed build series for his 230F that is also a dual sport bike. I used the same engine mods as he did in his 230 build, but my bike is not plated.  I was able to change gearing to plus 1 front and -2 rear and it still pulls great, not sure of rpm at 70 though.  Frickin Jim has also detailed all the mods and prices and sources for the 230 also which is a very useful guide.  If you haven't seen his 9 part series on 230 build project, it should have all the answers you seek for your project. 

• Like 1

I have had the 230 as my sole bike for 3 years now with similar intentions.  I can cruise at 60 top out at 70 (power/aerodynamically limited) really no good passing power over 50.  Cruising is not pleasurable in any way, wind and large vehicles will blow you all over as expected but for shorter commutes or back roads I'm fine with all of this.

Gearing Commander

More power of course will enable higher gearing and more top end/cruising potential.

I've recently completed a 110mi dual sport event that covered an abundance of terrain and my biggest limiting factor was the DS tires. I had seen on many occasions during this event that the hybrid tires when used with finesse are much better than knobbies, but you have to use them in that way, spinning them in mud or any other surface defeats their functionality. Even as much street riding as I do I will choose a hybrid trials tire for my next rear tire purchase, as I feel that with the torque of the 230 and it's lower HP a finesse type of riding is easy to achieve the kind of grip offered by a hybrid trials type tire. So getting out of the wet creek bed should not be a problem even with lower HP if you have the right type of traction.

I too did the forks mods before the shock as it was a matter of funding, and the rear actually becomes noticeably worse, though I wouldn't have thought that to be possible.  the recent addition of the Hagon is worth it. I was able to get a well used but very functional one for a deep discount and is the only reason I have one now.  

I am well on my way to having the 230 that does what I need it to do.

I had concerns with extended cruising at constant RPMs, the low oil capacity and no filter, but I no longer worry. I change the oil often and at one qt for each change it's not an issue.

I bought the 230 to replace an XR400 as stated in a recent post with intentions to use it as a DS bike.  For myself at 5'7"/145lbs I have no regrets in deciding on the 230 even for the sacrifice of power over the 400, the pros far outweigh the cons.  I ride it, I wash it, I put gas in it, I change the oil and once a year, or so I check the valves.  That's what I need easy and reliable. When I get bored I'll step up the compression.

-Scott

IMG_1762.JPG.f5631949ee2fec61da10a89dfc555e16.JPG

Edited by NEODS
Link
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Flipdizzle said:

So in a nutshell - I would like for it to cruise at 65-70mph without wringing it's neck, possibly topping out around 80mph, all while having enough grunt to handle the tight, slow, and technical first gear hills and valleys I often find myself navigating.

• You will need $1,000 or more for parts plus labor into motor.
  • Like 2

• You will need $1,000 or more for parts plus labor into motor.

The money isn't really the issue as I do not plan to sell this bike and I'll be liquidating several other bikes over time to recoup some of the expense.

I've had the 230F long enough to know it will do what I need with the proper parts and mods and now it's just a matter of getting the ball rolling.

My only concern is wasting time and resources getting the wrong parts for the job (since it seems that there's no market for used aftermarket parts for the 230F) - this is where I was hoping to lean on the experience of others and take the short path.

With my current gearing I can cruise around 60mph and top out right at 70mph. This has me needing a little more punch on the really tight trails but it's manageable and I'm getting used to it.

I was considering my next power related mod to be an FMF Power Bomb header coupled with the stock muffler and the EO Power Ring, with proper rejetting. I want it to be quiet but flow better.

Following good results from that, I would consider increasing the compression slightly for some extra punch. I want to stay with pump gas and maintain sledgehammer reliability.
  • Like 2

An oversized header, stock muffler, with a power ring would be an excellent choice providing that if you use a FMF bomb header pipe then remove the swaged down part of the header that slip fits into the stock muffler gasket.
Then remove the gasket and toss it in the trash.
With a bright light, after the gasket is removed you will notice what I call a "restrictor" but it's not really.
It's there to keep the gasket from being forced up further inside the muffler tubing.
Use a hole saw first and a die grinder to clean up any thing not removed with the hole saw until smooth.
Then find tubing sized to slide inside the muffler tightly without forcing it. Then cut off the proper length to weld to your header pipe.
If you did your home work, the exhaust will not leak after tightening the stock clamp and bolt snugly.
Any leaks found with the seal? Use A little high temp red silicone and let it dry overnight before starting.

Enjoy your new found performance and power.

You will, more than likely, have to go "DOWN"
four sizes on your main jet for best results.

(Depending on your average elevation, and average outside air temps that you ride in.
AND make sure your float level is correct.

Try it, you will like it.

• Like 1

Jeff, it sounds like an awesome quest. Checkout the YouTube series by frickinjim. He has a very detailed build series for his 230F that is also a dual sport bike. I used the same engine mods as he did in his 230 build, but my bike is not plated.  I was able to change gearing to plus 1 front and -2 rear and it still pulls great, not sure of rpm at 70 though.  Frickin Jim has also detailed all the mods and prices and sources for the 230 also which is a very useful guide.  If you haven't seen his 9 part series on 230 build project, it should have all the answers you seek for your project. 

Thanks - I have watched and enjoyed many of Frickin Jim's videos including the 230 build; he definitely gets down to the level I can understand and appreciate. It's been a little while so I will probably give them another look for additional insight.

I have had the 230 as my sole bike for 3 years now with similar intentions.  I can cruise at 60 top out at 70 (power/aerodynamically limited) really no good passing power over 50.  Cruising is not pleasurable in any way, wind and large vehicles will blow you all over as expected but for shorter commutes or back roads I'm fine with all of this.
Gearing Commander
More power of course will enable higher gearing and more top end/cruising potential.
I've recently completed a 110mi dual sport event that covered an abundance of terrain and my biggest limiting factor was the DS tires. I had seen on many occasions during this event that the hybrid tires when used with finesse are much better than knobbies, but you have to use them in that way, spinning them in mud or any other surface defeats their functionality. Even as much street riding as I do I will choose a hybrid trials tire for my next rear tire purchase, as I feel that with the torque of the 230 and it's lower HP a finesse type of riding is easy to achieve the kind of grip offered by a hybrid trials type tire. So getting out of the wet creek bed should not be a problem even with lower HP if you have the right type of traction.
I too did the forks mods before the shock as it was a matter of funding, and the rear actually becomes noticeably worse, though I wouldn't have thought that to be possible.  the recent addition of the Hagon is worth it. I was able to get a well used but very functional one for a deep discount and is the only reason I have one now.  
I am well on my way to having the 230 that does what I need it to do.
I had concerns with extended cruising at constant RPMs, the low oil capacity and no filter, but I no longer worry. I change the oil often and at one qt for each change it's not an issue.

I bought the 230 to replace an XR400 as stated in a recent post with intentions to use it as a DS bike.  For myself at 5'7"/145lbs I have no regrets in deciding on the 230 even for the sacrifice of power over the 400, the pros far outweigh the cons.  I ride it, I wash it, I put gas in it, I change the oil and once a year, or so I check the valves.  That's what I need easy and reliable. When I get bored I'll step up the compression.
-Scott
IMG_1762.JPG.f5631949ee2fec61da10a89dfc555e16.JPG

Scott, I believe you and I are on the same path. This "finesse" style of riding you speak of may just be what I am accustomed to (I'm still on the stock 2006 model clutch).

My other dual sport ride is a lightly modded '93 XR 650L, which I would like to eliminate the need for. I keep thinking I will set it up for fire roads and longer highway trips but I'm a small framed dude and I don't really like the idea of someone finding my withered body trapped under that 340# big red pig way off in the nether regions of the Southeastern forests. It does have a special place in my heart though.

It's simply too hard to beat the reliability, simplicity, potential power-to-weight ratio, and potential suspension combination of the 230F.
  • Like 1

An oversized header, stock muffler, with a power ring would be an excellent choice providing that if you use a FMF bomb header pipe then remove the swaged down part of the header that slip fits into the stock muffler gasket.
Then remove the gasket and toss it in the trash.
With a bright light, after the gasket is removed you will notice what I call a "restrictor" but it's not really.
It's there to keep the gasket from being forced up further inside the muffler tubing.
Use a hole saw first and a die grinder to clean up any thing not removed with the hole saw until smooth.
Then find tubing sized to slide inside the muffler tightly without forcing it. Then cut off the proper length to weld to your header pipe.
If you did your home work, the exhaust will not leak after tightening the stock clamp and bolt snugly.
Any leaks found with the seal? Use A little high temp red silicone and let it dry overnight before starting.

Enjoy your new found performance and power.

You will, more than likely, have to go "DOWN"
four sizes on your main jet for best results.

(Depending on your average elevation, and average outside air temps that you ride in.
AND make sure your float level is correct.

Try it, you will like it.

adnohguy - Thank you for the level of detail I needed to visualize this and also for the jetting heads-up. I'm gonna go ahead and get the header and Power Ring on the way while pondering on the rear suspension.

I have to admit that I have no knowledge of float level adjustment so I will need to do my homework on that.

Is there a thread on here somewhere that outlines your mods?

Many thanks - Jeff

Perhaps another question I should ask before making an order is what header is best for this configuration I'm going for? I defaulted to the FMF but is there another better suited configuration?

I do not feel I would reap any benefits from the Outlaw system with such a near-stock setup as I have.

Hi Jeff,
You and I are on similar quests.  I've built mine up for DS as well, although I consider the main goal to be a mini-adventure bike.  I want to comfortably get to highway speeds while still tearing up the desert and hauling gear for 2-3 days of camping/exploring.  While there are cheaper ways to do it and probably some reasonable sacrifices to be made, I ended up biting the bullet and getting a 254 stroker built.  While still not 100% dialed in and I haven't messed with the gearing yet, it easily pulls 65mph+ with the stock gearing (with power and some RPMs to spare), albeit a bit buzzy at those speeds. 

I think the only thing that I'm really lacking on the mechanical side right now is the carb.  Having finally gotten the jetting dialed in (well, 95% anyways), I'm finding that I can now feel the carb is struggling to keep up. 

Regarding the exhaust, I'm running a modified FMF powerbomb and modded OEM muffler.  So far, they seem to be doing fine.

• Like 1

Hum it's kinda hard to get our Yamaha wr450 Supermoto's cruising around 70+. :excuseme:  

Two bikes: I always thought a XR650r would make a pretty decent long range dual sport bike. Fast no light no but it might handle highway speeds. 

However I guess it was frinkinjim that did that run in Death Valley. 

• Like 1