DRZ400E Supermoto won't start "Click"

Hi everyone,

Just picked up a DRZ400E that's been fully converted to supermoto with only 1000 miles on it.

I can bump start it on a hill and it rides great but the electric start just makes the"click" sound which sounds like it's coming from the back end near the battery. Not the starter motor.

Got a battery tester/charger on order. All the clocks and lights work fine, horn is loud. So was thinking maybe not the battery?

Any ideas chaps? Thanks in advance.

Thanks mate. I did try and jump start the DRZ using my car. Not having the cars's engine running of course. Didn't make a difference. Still the click.

I would guess  - starter brushes. If there is power on battery when the starter button is pressed.

To check starter relay (that's the one that clicks) I personally would shorten the big wire contacts on it, it should get the power to the starter. 

Or you could check if the starter gets power when button is pressed - much safer, but slightly not as easy way :).

Or you could test the Voltage on the battery. Should be over 12V when nothing is turned on, and not get much below 10V when starting (or trying to).

If those brushes are just starting to make trouble, probably you could roll the bike backwards a little bit while in higher gear. You will hear that starter gears engage to turn it over. Then with brushes on different spot it could start.

Solved!

Turned out to be the starter relay. Wires had vibrated and come loose. Reconnected and it fired right up.

• Like 1

Proly the first time some one's looked since leaving the factory.  Get some trailer connector grease and go over all connectors.