92 cr250 fork upgrade to 2003 forks

Hi.

I've recently bought a 92 cr250. The current forks stanchions are 43mm, top yoke fork clamp dia approx 52mm,
Fork lower clamps are approx 57. Some people have said they're original 92, others say they are later.

The point is they're a little 'used' to say the least, play in lh leg, bottom yoke has a frame stop broken off and top yoke has number board bolt snapped off in thread.

I've been reading a few posts but I'm getting conflicting views, will 2001 to 2003 forks fit with 96 yokes and shims? Could i not use the later yokes? Ive bought a later crf front wheel as i understand the axle is different. Am I right in thinking the later (after 2003) forks have a different offset and different caliper mount.?

And I guess the main question is, are the forks going to be a much better improvement over a set of 96 forks (that would bolt straight on)

Rob 

I have a 95 125 with 08crf forks and wheel/brake. Applied custom made clamps for the new front end using only the original steering stem. Emig racing also makes custom clamps. Try Camp member here he's done the swap as well using stock clamps and shims

• Like 1

Search for my old posts.  The complete crf front end and triple clamps can bolt onto your frame with just a simple washer shaped spacer.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, tidyrob69 said:

Ah ok cheers. Contacted applied racing to see if they sell the bottom yoke. Do you think it's a conversion worth doing then? 

I just bought the bike, so I don't have a reference to the difference between stock front end and modern. It does seem to get very good reviews from those who have done the swap, as the forks for mid 90's CR's were said to have been the bike's worst flaw.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, heart_of_darkness said:

Search for my old posts.  The complete crf front end and triple clamps can bolt onto your frame with just a simple washer shaped spacer.

Cheers for that, i've bought cr250 2003 forks, similar era wheel and axle, and have been hunting for the 96 triple clamps which i can't find currently. If the 2003 triple will fit then i'll buy a set of these then. I read your post and you say the stops work ok. what about the offset and angle, do you know if that is the same? I assume the crf triples are the same as the cr?

Just having a quick look at the bottom yolks, the front number plate mounting holes are in a different place so i guess a 92 plate couldn't be used.

I think any CR250 or CRF250/450 triples from 1997 until at least 2008 will fit.  Those models all used the same basic showa 47mm forks.

Different models of bike over that range of donor years had different number plate / headlight mounting patterns.  The CR250 or CRF/R donor triples will likely be closest.

Cheers for your help, i've decided to buy 96 forks and get them valved and set up for my weight. from what i've read it sounds like it'll keep a better more original feel. I've bought some 2003 forks too to just try the difference but will probably sell them on.