KTM sx 125 2016 seat too narrow, can't grip bike

My 2016 KTM SX 125's seat is too narrow, so the plastic pretrudes out just where my knee is. IMG_3364.thumb.JPG.c5d72e4d33534e66a7ae6f34f9d5c813.JPG

This means it's not only painful to grip the bike, but i don't get any extra grip out of it, and end up supporting myself mith my arms, which is not exactly ideal when riding.

This would not be a problem if my leg was shorter as i would then be able to grip the plastic, but as my knee is right on the edge i get no grip.

My local dealer doesn't sell any aftermarket seats so i haven't been able to see if any of them are wider.

They say they don't want to pack some extra foam inside as they say it wont last, but anything is better than this.

I'm planning to drop by my dealer tomorrow to check out the other bikes, and whether they have the same problem or not.

I took some measurements of my seat and bike so you can hopefully compare them to your bike.

The seat is approximately 16,5 cm at its widest, and the bike is 18,5 at its widest.

IMG_3367.thumb.JPG.7a1c20bbc263257ae6329c08e63297f2.JPG

FullSizeRender.thumb.jpg.a606ec6e3073c926baaf2e08a7b46892.jpg

If any of you by chance have a wider seat than this please tell me, looking at bike images on google to see if the seat is narrower than the bike is not easy.

And if you have any ideas as to what i can do please tell me.

Thanks in advance

Edited by xheppelin

Possibly an aftermarket seat cover might be thicker and help with this issue. I'll check on my 17 to see if it's the same.

• Like 1

Hi, we have 2 x 2016 125s for mx and they are the exact same as yours. One bike has the blue KTM Sella Viala or whatever cover and makes no difference (apart from being far grippier than the standard). He hasn't raised it as an issue however, although I see the aftermarket graphics are rubbed away next to the seat. Bad design maybe, as the rad scoops can't be pushed any further in.  Apart from taking the staples out and inserting some foam, not much else you could do. You can't buy an aftermarket seat base for the16s. Bob.

3 minutes ago, 7Tktm said:

Hi, we have 2 x 2016 125s for mx and they are the exact same as yours. One bike has the blue KTM Sella Viala or whatever cover and makes no difference (apart from being far grippier than the standard). He hasn't raised it as an issue however, although I see the aftermarket graphics are rubbed away next to the seat. Bad design maybe, as the rad scoops can't be pushed any further in.  Apart from taking the staples out and inserting some foam, not much else you could do. You can't buy an aftermarket seat base for the16s. Bob.

Thanks for the reply. So I'm guessing your rider has slightly shorter legs so his knees are against the plastics? Or longer so his knees go past the edge and are able to grip the seat?

I guess if i cant find another way I'll have to just add some foam, but I'm not sure the cover is large enough. Last resort may be to get some textile company or something to do it for me, unless i can convince my local dealer or one of the other dealers nearby to do it.

10 minutes ago, THUMPERRRR said:

maybe do a lil readin here,,, might find a cover/foam to help...

https://seat-concepts.myshopify.com/collections/ktm/2016+ktm-125sx

Thanks for the reply, this seems like it could work

https://seat-concepts.myshopify.com/collections/ktm/products/ktm-2016-sx-xcf-2017-sx-xcw-exc-oem-super-grip

I'll try to contact them to see what i can do and what could work for me.

Good call about that company. Hopefully they will be able to help you out if you can afford the postal charges from the USA lol. You'll remember that KTM used to have a web on the seat base that stuck out just above the filter cover and always split the seat cover near the base. We used to have to Dremmel them off. Now their seats  have gone too narrow! There are quite a few design faults on the 16 bikes. The rad scoops wear away at the top and bottom of the rads  (another Dremmel job to cut the offending plastic away) and the shock gets worn as well by the plastics. I had a look at a new 2017 250sx at the weekend and it didn't have these issues. Bob.

• Like 1

On 8/22/2017 at 7:10 PM, Tommaso Alastra said:

Sorry for necro but did you solve the issue? I have the same problem

No sorry, you could look at grip pads to put on the plastic but theres not much more you can do. I have bought a pair of knee braces, they help against the pain but offer no extra grip.

Have bought a 2014 250 exc, the older bikes have a perfect seat for me, much better with a taller seat though but mine is original, no pain and i can grip the bike perfectly. So if this is a major problem then i would just simply ditch it, get an older model or switch from the brand completely. I have personally had around a million problems with the front forks, they failed catastrophically on several occasions and rear shock pissed its oil out. The handle bar things have twisted several times in minor stacks. The gas cap is so annoying to refill with those automatich gas cans. And plenty more annoying and terrible design flaws.

So i am pretty fed up with this bike now so i am thinking of just simply getting a yamaha or something.