Coastal towns

I'm currently considering moving to the California or possibly Oregon coast. I'm looking for somewhere that has good riding nearby as well as decent night life. I work full time as a carpenter as well as part time in a restaurant. I'm 23 so I'm looking for somewhere that will have a lot of people my age! Any suggestions?

If you like rain, overcast days and gloom 75% of the time move to Oregon...  if you like sun and fun move to Socal.

• Like 2

I prefer sun most of the time over rain most of the time. San Diego and the rest of so cal might be to hot for me i was more thinking somewhere around the bay maybe near bolinas 

None of the Oregon coast has a good night life, but it's beautiful and you can wear shorts and a hoody every day of the year. The coast gets way more sun breakouts in the winter than the valley. But seriously, if you ever get depressed, don't move to the coast anywhere north of Monterey.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Lovemydog said:

I prefer sun most of the time over rain most of the time. San Diego and the rest of so cal might be to hot for me i was more thinking somewhere around the bay maybe near bolinas 

Looks like the 10 day average high for San Diego is like 78°F. Not too shabby.

34 minutes ago, Lovemydog said:

San Diego too hot ?  You an Eskimo ?  :lol:

• Like 3

Look around Santa Barbara/Ventura and look at Allen and associates for employment if you don't have something lined up.

• Like 1

On 7/11/2017 at 9:04 PM, rbernardi said:

Look around Santa Barbara/Ventura and look at Allen and associates for employment if you don't have something lined up.

Ok thanks! I'm thinking of going in the spring I'll be plowing snow this season in my home town so I'm planning on going as soon as my contract is up. I've never been but Ventura seems quite touristy is that true? Also what kinda riding is out there? It seems like the general area is like to go

Santa Barbra 

Hotties, State Street

Los padres

Ballinger

Zaca Station MX

Pismo (Oceano Dunes)

Hotties

On July 11, 2017 at 2:52 PM, Lovemydog said:

Bolinas....Marin County is the one (if not THE) most expensive counties to live in the US. ZERO riding around Bolinas, although I do like that area. Marin has a MC dirt club with their own riding area, however there is a several year waiting list. Sonoma County is quasi near some decent riding areas (2ish hours), the south bay is the same (2-3 hours) as is the east bay. Probably the best area for riding is the Reno area as there is tons of riding in about an hours reach.

And you can plate your 300 there.

• Like 1

Yup, Reno would be a much better fit. I don't think you grasp how expensive even shithole places in California are.

• Like 4

Just now, 1.21GW said:

Yup, Reno would be a much better fit. I don't think you grasp how expensive even shithole places in California are.

+1 Hate to be a downer. but prepare yourself.

Start checking prices of locations on CL - it'll narrow it down for you.
In general: National Forests have riding, some more than others. University towns have hotties (i.e. nightlife), some more than others.
Places look close on a map - traffic can easily multiply travel times x5.

How the heck did Bolinas show up on your radar?

• Like 1

This will open up your eyes a bit. Check out Santa Cruz and what it would cost to rent a place in that town. I seriously cannot think of a worse town to live in on the coast of CA. It has huge crime issues its basically Oakland with less people. Small town big big problems.

• Like 1

I lived in Costa Mesa, Newport & Huntington for the better part of 30 years...  rents were high but you live how you can afford...  when I was a waiter and cook I roomed up and lived the fun beach life I could afford...  when I was pulling down $100gs I drove a better car...  lived in a nicer place...  and enjoyed all the beach lifestyle offered.  The fun I had wasn't much different either way.   People are not all born rich in CA.  You just live within your means and make it work.  But to make a "give up" plan to live in Reno or OXNARD before you even get here is silly.

Make it happen.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, rbernardi said:

I've heard Oxnard is pretty nice :lol:

There are pockets that are awesome actually.