ToadilyInsane

Tacoma rated worst truck 2017 by consumer reports.

63 posts in this topic

I know plenty of you will chose not to believe this one, but it fell flat with customers on reliability. Bustedbones has mentioned trouble with his and many told him he was wrong, but it seems to be true.

From consumer reports

The Tacoma remains as rough and tumble as it has always been. Toyota's compact pickup features a 3.5-liter V6 hooked up to either a six-speed manual or a six-speed automatic transmission. A 2.7-liter four-cylinder engine, which can be mated to a five-speed manual, is also available. Both two- and four-wheel-drive models are offered. Our four-wheel-drive V6 Tacoma delivered a good 19 mpg overall. Though the truck is tough as nails and delivers impressive off-road prowess, it's primitive. The ride is stiff, handling is ponderous, the cabin is very loud, and the driving position is awkwardly low. The modern connectivity features are welcome. Safety features such as blind-spot monitoring and rear cross-traffic alert are available. First-year reliability of the redesign has been well below average.

Glad I got my slow, rough and loud 2012 then.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I have thought  a lot about a Tacoma. For the gas mileage I just rather have a Tundra with more towing capacity for a camper. I will probably buy a Tundra next year along with a camper. 

Edited by Charles De Mar

Huh, I get 19mpg out of my 05 Dodge QC long bed 4x4 with the 5.9. 19 out of a wittle truck ain't worth it.

6 people like this

My brother had a 17 for a few months and traded it back in on a dodge. No problems( I hope not, it was only owned for 3 or 4 months), he just didn't really like it.

ive pulled 300k teenager miles on my ford ranger with a few sensors replaced, as well as normal wear items. 

many domestic pickups do great with reliability. Many of our other family trucks did great too. Our 79 f150 with a 400M had 220k on it, person who bought it still has it running great today.

On the yota, it will be worked out with time. I'm not a Toyota fan but the company's will iron the bugs out I'm sure. That's that new 6's first year I believe

1 person likes this

I love my Tundra for towing....I miss my Frontier, that truck was actually fun to drive. I could drift it like 3 series. 

5 hours ago, skisnh said:

I love my Tundra for towing....I miss my Frontier, that truck was actually fun to drive. I could drift it like 3 series. 

Frontier's are treated like the red-headed-step-child in the truck world, but they are serious machines.  Back in 06 I test drove several different Tacoma's and Frontier's and immediately knew there was no comparison between the 2.  The Taco was a Camry with a bed, the Frontier was a work/play truck.

Like you, I like my F150 for towing (and the room for 3 kids in the back seat), but there's a lot of days I miss my Frontier!

2 people like this

I have an '04 (170K) Frontier in the drive as well as a 2017 SV. The only truck in it's class with a full box steel frame. great work and play truck!

1 person likes this

2007 Nissan titan owned since new. 17 mpg hwy. Never a problem. 97K miles. I drove a late model Tacoma once. Terrible seating position.

1 person likes this

While I agree with some of the complaints mentioned, how does toyota sell so many tacomas  with no real incentives?

While I agree with some of the complaints mentioned, how does toyota sell so many tacomas  with no real incentives?

Because Tacoma!

The Tacoma of generations past had a reputation for reliability many think lives on.
3 people like this

40 minutes ago, ToadilyInsane said:

Because Tacoma!

The Tacoma of generations past had a reputation for reliability many think lives on.

Yep. Things have changed drastically.

1 person likes this

I had an 01 taco and hated it. Worst suspension in a small truck. It had soft springs and lots of high speed damping. Put 2-3 bikes in the back and it wallowed, yet hit a sharp edged bump and it punished you.
They did have a good reputation for some reason.

HA! I knew it!.....I got the last of the best they could build.  I Love My 2015 Tacoma!

2015_Toyota_Tacoma_PreRunner_4dr_Double_Cab_50_ft_SB_27L_4cyl_4A_3924321.jpg

11 hours ago, BlackBuzzard said:

Because toyota because resale because everyone else has one they must be the best. [/toymota fan]

On 7/13/2017 at 1:01 PM, shrubitup said:

2007 Nissan titan owned since new. 17 mpg hwy. Never a problem. 97K miles. I drove a late model Tacoma once. Terrible seating position.

Datsun.png

3 people like this

18 hours ago, slotracer577 said:

I had an 01 taco and hated it. Worst suspension in a small truck. It had soft springs and lots of high speed damping. Put 2-3 bikes in the back and it wallowed, yet hit a sharp edged bump and it punished you.
They did have a good reputation for some reason.

I solved that problem...

20160803_085736.jpg

20160803_085744.jpg

2 people like this

On 7/14/2017 at 11:26 AM, dezracerE said:

I solved that problem...

20160803_085736.jpg

20160803_085744.jpg

Reminds me of the KTM guys. Buy "wonder" vehicle at inflated prices then spend $$$$ making it wonderful.

5 people like this

4 hours ago, YHGEORGE said:

Reminds me of the KTM guys. Buy "wonder" vehicle at inflated prices then spend $$$$ making it wonderful.

I liked that, but, wait, I'm a KTM guy. :lol:

1 person likes this

Thanks for having a sense of humor! My nephew has a dialed in '12 250XC-W that is very nice.                                 But I'll never tell him that. ;)

On 2017-7-16 at 4:55 AM, YHGEORGE said:

The correct term is wunderbar.

2 people like this