Tacoma rated worst truck 2017 by consumer reports.

I had my Frontier in for a recall earlier in the week, they gave me a 2016 loaner that only had 96 miles on it, no one wanted it I guess. Nearly identical inside to my existing truck. Same length bumper to bumper. Only changes were the radio/nav/backup camera and fancy left/right auto temperature control. This one was unwanted (I assume) because it was a crew cab and a short bed. My extended cab has a short enough (standard mini truck) bed, I can barely get two dirtbikes in it with the gate up. The loaner, the gate would have to be down. Frontiers have weak tail gate hinges and I'd not want to have it open with a load on it. Do not ask me how I found out. But with heat and the right tools, putting in new ones takes just 20 minutes, as I understand it...

Kinda my same argument. My 81 f250 has 12" of lift between body and suspension and sits on 38" rubber now. Also, even in a standard cab long box, it's a freaking mile of truck. I love it, it's cool, but it's impractical 99% of the time to the point I haven't even kept the plates current in several years.

It also doesn't fit 3 Kids and me and the wife, or even 2 child seats while maintaining the ability to shift ffs.

I mean if you're ever trying to get rid of it, keep me in mind

1 hour ago, William1 said:

I had my Frontier in for a recall earlier in the week, they gave me a 2016 loaner that only had 96 miles on it, no one wanted it I guess. Nearly identical inside to my existing truck. Same length bumper to bumper. Only changes were the radio/nav/backup camera and fancy left/right auto temperature control. This one was unwanted (I assume) because it was a crew cab and a short bed. My extended cab has a short enough (standard mini truck) bed, I can barely get two dirtbikes in it with the gate up. The loaner, the gate would have to be down. Frontiers have weak tail gate hinges and I'd not want to have it open with a load on it. Do not ask me how I found out. But with heat and the right tools, putting in new ones takes just 20 minutes, as I understand it...

Our stories are almost identical.  I just sold an 05 NISMO Frontier in March, but mine had 188,000 miles on it.  I also had a 2016 Frontier as a rental a couple months ago, the radio updates were nice but other than that it was the exact same truck.  It actually impressed me seeing how well my 05 compared to the 2016, because I beat the snot out of it in the 11 years I had it!!  But the handling was the same, the power was the same, the interior wind noise was the same.

Mine was a crew cab short bed, and I did break both hinges (but not with dirtbikes, I had a heavier load on them).  The new hinges held up very well and spent years hauling around my dirt bike, and on a couple occasions I drove 1000 to Florida with 2 sportbikes in the bed without issues.

I also had the phantom SLIP light issue you mentioned.  I know there's several different causes, but mine turned out to be bad wheel speed sensor wiring.  Eventually the phantom lights became full time lights (and the 4x4 stopped engaging) so I replaced the wheel speed sensors, but that didn't solve the issue.

I found out that the wiring above the connectors had frayed on both sides on the front.  I couldn't find a part number, so I just re-wired, soldered the connections, and put new shrink wrap around the wiring and it solved the light and my 4x4 issue.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, YHGEORGE said:

I'm getting closer and closer to a Frontier. Took another look at the Honda the other day and just don't think I can take the look. LLooks worse than a nerd with an overbite and no chin!

Lol, that is brutal, but I have to agree. I was considering the new design Ridgeline but I just can't get past the looks, and the fact that its not really a truck.

And Tacos, can't stand the seating position. I'm way tall and all of the Toyo seats are ridiculous, like I'm sitting on the floor. Its a shame as they make some really nice rigs like the Land Cruiser that I would consider if not for the stupid seating sitch.

2 minutes ago, bassjam said:

Our stories are almost identical.  I just sold an 05 NISMO Frontier in March, but mine had 188,000 miles on it.  I also had a 2016 Frontier as a rental a couple months ago, the radio updates were nice but other than that it was the exact same truck.  It actually impressed me seeing how well my 05 compared to the 2016, because I beat the snot out of it in the 11 years I had it!!  But the handling was the same, the power was the same, the interior wind noise was the same.

Mine was a crew cab short bed, and I did break both hinges (but not with dirtbikes, I had a heavier load on them).  The new hinges held up very well and spent years hauling around my dirt bike, and on a couple occasions I drove 1000 to Florida with 2 sportbikes in the bed without issues.

I also had the phantom SLIP light issue you mentioned.  I know there's several different causes, but mine turned out to be bad wheel speed sensor wiring.  Eventually the phantom lights became full time lights (and the 4x4 stopped engaging) so I replaced the wheel speed sensors, but that didn't solve the issue.

I found out that the wiring above the connectors had frayed on both sides on the front.  I couldn't find a part number, so I just re-wired, soldered the connections, and put new shrink wrap around the wiring and it solved the light and my 4x4 issue.

I like the way my NISMO drives over the 'Pro LTE' version the store loaned me. My truck has much less wind noise. No sun roof, no rack either, which may be why.

I trashed the hinges probably from carrying 40) 2"X12" X16' pressure treated lumber!  It just happened slowly over time, probably ten years before the hinge failed. I got updated ones that are welded and not just stamped.

Yeah, I suspect it is a wheel sensor or the brake light switch. One day, I'll go look. But it is intermittent, no codes thrown so...

• Like 1

I mean if you're ever trying to get rid of it, keep me in mind

Thinking about it, but over the last 13 years I have probably sank nearly 25k into it. I think I shared some pics with you when it got the 4wd chassis and big tires and suspension a couple years back. Need to figure out how much of a loss I am prepared to take and come to terms with that first lol.
  • Like 1

Thinking about it, but over the last 13 years I have probably sank nearly 25k into it. I think I shared some pics with you when it got the 4wd chassis and big tires and suspension a couple years back. Need to figure out how much of a loss I am prepared to take and come to terms with that first lol.

Take your time, if I was up north still I'd offer to road trip there and trailer it back. Unfortunately I'm not stationed anywhere near Canada

4 hours ago, Woods_Rider said:

Lol, that is brutal, but I have to agree. I was considering the new design Ridgeline but I just can't get past the looks, and the fact that its not really a truck.

And Tacos, can't stand the seating position. I'm way tall and all of the Toyo seats are ridiculous, like I'm sitting on the floor. Its a shame as they make some really nice rigs like the Land Cruiser that I would consider if not for the stupid seating sitch.

I can only speak of the LC 105, LC200 and various Hiluxes I have driven. The Taco looks very similar to the Hilux.

Landcruiser seating position is very different. Almost like sitting in an office chair, where the hilux your feet go in front of you more (same with my Patrol, seating position is not as straight up and down as a landcrab).

Maybe dont write off Toymota so quick, however LC200 is ridiculously expensive.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, William1 said:

I like the way my NISMO drives over the 'Pro LTE' version the store loaned me. My truck has much less wind noise. No sun roof, no rack either, which may be why.

I trashed the hinges probably from carrying 40) 2"X12" X16' pressure treated lumber!  It just happened slowly over time, probably ten years before the hinge failed. I got updated ones that are welded and not just stamped.

Yeah, I suspect it is a wheel sensor or the brake light switch. One day, I'll go look. But it is intermittent, no codes thrown so...

My holden had an ABS sensor fail and so similar. Started off intermittent and then went off permanently. Disabled ABS and TC. Drove it for two years like that and got it fixed ? 

• Like 1

i've not had any problem with my 16", i previously had a 12" that i put 70k on before it got totaled in a freeway pile-up, it didnt give me a single problem as well. the brand new 16" cost me $2500 over what insurance cashed me out for, i just opted to get a new one instead of a 2nd gen used.  like i said, have not had a single issue with it.  it gets me where i need to go, and i tow a 5000 lb toy hauler with it as well.  the only thing i don't like about it is the stereo face, in certain sunlight you cannot make out any of the touch screen controls because of sun glare.  i admit when i first got it i really wanted my 2012 back, but in the last 1.5 years it's grown on me and i have few complaints about it.

Edited by DRS

14 hours ago, BushPig said:

My holden had an ABS sensor fail and so similar. Started off intermittent and then went off permanently. Disabled ABS and TC. Drove it for two years like that and got it fixed ? 

The problem with the Frontier's is the 4WD won't engage when the ABS or TC light is on.  But I did the same, I just drove mine for 2 years with the dash light on and no 4x4 until I got it fixed.  I learned that a 2wd truck with a locker still got me where I needed offroad, I just needed to plan out my moves a little more carefully!