Drz400s Clunking into gear, need help adjusting clutch cable.

2003 Drz400s with just over 17k miles on the clock.  Over the winter I replaced the clutch basket with a lightly used one, also the plates, springs, and friction plate.  Had the bike checked out by a local shop when I jetted the carb and he said everything worked as it should.  I took the lever off a few days ago to powder coat it and messed with the cable.  I put the lever and cable back where I thought it was adjusted to and now it feels clunky.  Can someone tell me how to properly adjust a clutch cable with two points of adjustment on it?  Is the nickle trick best for this bike, still feels like it clunks into gear.  For some reason I've been having trouble with this.  Thanks for any input!

is it just 1st gear or all gears? .. 1st is pretty clunky for me on all bikes, a small blip of the throttle with the clutch pulled before i drop it usually helps some ..

Your clutch is not fully disengaging due to too little free play.And there are 3 points of adjustment not two,the perch,the cable and the arm at the motor case(it can be re-indexed).

14 hours ago, bumtarder said:

Your clutch is not fully disengaging due to too little free play.And there are 3 points of adjustment not two,the perch,the cable and the arm at the motor case(it can be re-indexed).

Yeah I know, I was talking about the cable itself.  By re-indexing do you mean taking the arm off and spinning the shaft counter clockwise all the way?  Right now, the arm is 90 degrees from the cable. Thanks

Yeah I know, I was talking about the cable itself.  By re-indexing do you mean taking the arm off and spinning the shaft counter clockwise all the way?  Right now, the arm is 90 degrees from the cable. Thanks

Yes,remove the arm and re-index clockwise one tooth when viewed head on from the left side of the bike.Should be about the 3:30 o'clock position.

Yes,remove the arm and re-index clockwise one tooth when viewed head on from the left side of the bike.Should be about the 3:30 o'clock position.

Is this the correct position or should I just reindex it? IMG_1193.thumb.PNG.afd68bf13a7809b9b66b370f7733dd47.PNG

The black and white one is the position the clymers shows IMG_1197.JPG

4 minutes ago, bumtarder said:

I think you should re-index the arm one tooth to the right (clockwise) then readjust the free play and road test.

Ok will do, thanks for the help.  You mean one tooth farther away from the cable or closer to the cable?

Cable??Lift up the clutch arm off the splined shaft and rotate to your right in the picture you provided one tooth.I'm sorry I can't explain it any easier than that otherwise you'll have to have a motorcycle mechanic look at it.

Why don't you say 1 tooth clock wise or counter clockwise when looking from where. That would be a lot more straight forward. The right is only your right, and I don't think he knows what your right is.

Edited by SKIPPY PB

Nevermind, I misread the reply on my phone.  I guess I didn't phrase the question right, should rotate the arm on the splines right toward the engine (also toward the cable outlet) or away from the engine/cable outlet? 

2 minutes ago, SKIPPY PB said:

Why don't you say 1 tooth clock wise or counter clockwise when looking from where. That would be a lot more straight forward. The right is only your right, and I don't think he knows what your right is.

Thanks, that was the confusion.

Edited by kingbluey

2 minutes ago, Backwoods-Bomber said:

So, it was fine, but then you removed the perch. And now it clunks into gear? If all you did was loosen the cable and remove/reinstall the perch, you shouldn't need to re-clock the arm.

Yeah, I left the arm alone, had to just be the cable.  I just adjusted the cable how it should be and rode it around and it seems to be good, maybe a little bit of clunk, but nothing aggressive like before.  I just changed the oil yesterday and didn't ride it after so maybe it had something to do with that.  Thanks!

• Like 1