When to get a new bike

Alright fellow PNW riders.

As I'm sitting here working on my 2004 EXC. I'm asking myself "why am I putting more $ in to this bike at 13yrs old."

Answer....because I really like the bike and have it dialed in for me.

So my question to ya'll is what made you decide to retire your old steady and get something newer.

If u like it,and it does what u need keep it,to me parts are alot cheaper than new bikes.i do enjoy working on bikes though.just my thinking.

• Like 1

Do it now Shank! Never a bad time to buy a new bike.  Call Franks Motorbikes in Bellevue tomorrow and get you a new Sherco. Best bikes ever made!

Or you can wait a couple months and come to my charity ride in Sept. Premier Power Sports will have new Husqvarna demo bikes !

• Like 1

When you have $9000 burning a hole in your pocket. 

As long as parts are available you can keep it going. Once it becomes difficult to get parts it's time to move on. There is also the technology aspects.  Ride a 17 ktm 250 or 300 then ride your 04 you will then understand why new bikes are bought. 

• Like 1

As I'm sitting here working on my 2004 EXC. I'm asking myself "why am I putting more $ in to this bike at 13yrs old."
So my question to ya'll is what made you decide to retire your old steady and get something newer.

The last bike [two years on it] handling sucked and could not get a setup to work, dumped it and Back to "Yamaha Making dirtbiking great again."
  • Like 5

Time for a new bike anytime there is a couple thousand bucks laying around. Until then just gonna keep riding what I got

get an old one out you haven't ridden for awhile , fall back in love ! you guys don't actually sell your old ones do you ?

• Like 5

On ‎2017‎-‎07‎-‎11 at 10:05 PM, shank said:

Hey Shank, for me it was timing and so is this thread!!! I had just rebuilt the engine on my 2002 KTM 200 exc....I love this bike as much cuz it got me back in the sport about 5 or 6 years ago...it was a great bike to start on and frankly, I loved it to this day. Being a 200, I always had people asking me if I would sell....and my eye had been looking over at 300's for quite a while now....LOL. To answer your question though, it was a combination of friends who let me to it....One buddy was looking to jump into the sport relatively inexpensively....I had just done just about all you can do to rebuild a motor in its entirety...and asked me if I would sell...initially I said no...I wanted to enjoy the bike and I really didn't have the money to go buy another bike....maybe in the fall I said.

Well sure enough two weeks later, another couple of friends made me aware of a 2009 KTM 250 xcw that had been updated to a 300...it was the right price....in fantastic condition with low hours....and I knew the guy who owned it....he had blown an ACL and was looking to take it easy for awhile on the street.  Well the moons all came together and I found the money to move forward. Some of the things I was running into....fewer after market parts available, OEM parts were never available at the shop, and just some things wearing out over the years of use. Modern features if I can call them that, electric start....I ignored the magic button forever but after trying bikes with it...well, it became one aspect of the overall decision. I wanted more power and gearing on those long technical climbs. I was always pinned trying to keep up to my buddies on their 300's and 350's....still I loved my 200!

I am over the moon about the new bike...electric start of course, yes it works, blue plate which was an added bonus, and all of the farkles you would want. Its kind of shocking to see all of the little things that improve over time...odd things like gas caps, and suspension, well pretty much everything. So not a new bike but much newer than what I had....a long winded response to your question but timing, a great bike, and a wife who puts up with me got me to move on this one.

By the way, the old bike went to a good home and the rider is already having fun on it....another rider in our sport is always a good thing!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Slackkinhard said:

I have a '93 Yamaha WR250 with LTR suspension, works as good as anything for offroad

Will vouch for its ability to do a wide double log jump like a runaway cruise missle with no rider. Video evidence. Pl

• Like 5

16 hours ago, highmarker said:

Will vouch for its ability to do a wide double log jump like a runaway cruise missle with no rider. Video evidence. Pl

When the bottlerocket is at the helm, a report is forthcoming :cripple:

18 hours ago, highmarker said:

Ha ha.....yep.

I'm in the same boat.  Riding a 99 YZ250 (got it in 2000), I keep it in great shape and have all the woods goodies on it.  I would likely have to add in $4-5,000 to get a bike I would want.  Something with a wide ratio, 6 speed transmission.  What I keep circling around is, would that kind of money really make the sport that much more enjoyable?  I have a blast when I ride, I gel with my bike and it takes me everywhere I want to go. 

Don't know...

Video evidence?