Just got an RM125...

I just bought a 2001 RM125.  It looks pretty decent for an older bike and runs out well.  I've owned quite a few bikes but never a Suzuki 2 stroke.  Cleaned the nasty air filter, dumped the tranny fluid and put in 750ml ATF.  It has a BR8 spark plug and looks to be well tuned.  Gearing is 12/49.   

It will be primarily used as a trail bike.

Is there a nice big thread somewhere that will educate me on all the pro's and con's of these bikes?

Any random pieces of advice?   Thank you!

42 minutes ago, Yokomo said:

I just bought a 2001 RM125.  It looks pretty decent for an older bike and runs out well.  I've owned quite a few bikes but never a Suzuki 2 stroke.  Cleaned the nasty air filter, dumped the tranny fluid and put in 750ml ATF.  It has a BR8 spark plug and looks to be well tuned.  Gearing is 12/49.   

It will be primarily used as a trail bike.

Is there a nice big thread somewhere that will educate me on all the pro's and con's of these bikes?

Any random pieces of advice?   Thank you!

What did you do the the old pre-mix in the gas tank and what do you intend to run as a mixture going forward?  If you are gong to truly use this a a trail bike I would go up two to four teeth on the rear sprocket.  12 teeth is about as small as you want to go on the front due to chain wrap radius.  Even if you down gear the bike don't expect a nice relaxing ride.  These 125 MX two strokes are tuned to deliver almost all of their power at high rpm, so you have to wring it out to go anywhere.

I've owned my '99 RM125 for 15 years now, all desert/trail riding, and it has been nothing short of awesome. As far as the 125's go, the RMs have seemed to have a more mid range powerband compared to the Honda's or Yamaha's, and even at 180lbs the bike had plenty of power all over for the type of riding I do. The only mod I have is FMF Fatty pipe and Turbinecore 2 spark arrestor, and I actually have mine geared up a tad (12/48, stock was 12/50). Gotta use the clutch a bit with big hill climbing, but other than that you shouldn't have any issues. Just make sure to use high quality pre-mix and gear oil.