2007 vs 2017

So my brother had an old 2007 crf250r, and due to his continuing success in arena cross and enduro he wants to up his game and try for lorretta's next year.... So my father mother and brother in law went out and bought him a 2017 crf250r today. Since, his 2007 is always having issues like blown bearings, valves, carb, etc and is costing more in maintenance than the payments for the new bike.
I can not ride well at all, so I have not even been on the bike in fear i will crash it. But I am decently mechanically inclined.... Here is my question....

I asked him which felt more powerful his old 2007 or his new 2017, he said the 2017, this made me wonder.... His 2007 is supposedly 2hp more and 2 torque more than the 2017, and he has fmf full exhuast, and other little goodies on that 2007 that I am not counting.... The 2007 also is supposed to weigh 8 lbs less not counting after market exhuast, bars, rims, etc.... Yet, he says this one is much easier to throw whips on because it feels so much lighter..... The carb is tuned perfectly on that 2007, and everything engine wise is great.... 

Can anyone explain this to me? Is it a placebo due to the new bike feel, or is the 2017 despite less power and more weight actually faster? 

Edited by boostedturbo

I just found one article that said the 2007 is 35hp, so less than the 2017. I'm sure the new one has more power and feels faster. I can't say about the weight, but they do make the newer bikes feel lighter than they are.