Jump to content

Carb slide adjustment 2002 yz250

Recommended Posts

I recently had problems with a high idle and turned out my carb slide wasn't seating all the way. I just turned the cable screw on the top of the carb so it was all the way in and the slide would fully close, which fixed the high idle. 

What is the proper adjustment for the slide? Can't seem to find anything about it in the manual.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Look under the "handle bar and control" section I think.  As long as there is a little slack in the throttle tube (even when you turn the bars lock to lock) you should be fine.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Throttle has freeplay per manual, 2mm or 1/16 of an inch. Most of the time it's a bad cable on the older bikes (if cable is old also), can. be routing also. Best to get the correct slack, and adjust knob/screw on carb to bring up idle. Good luck, and let us know what works. Aloha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/13/2017 at 4:50 PM, P84ONE said:

Throttle has freeplay per manual, 2mm or 1/16 of an inch. Most of the time it's a bad cable on the older bikes (if cable is old also), can. be routing also. Best to get the correct slack, and adjust knob/screw on carb to bring up idle. Good luck, and let us know what works. Aloha

I tightened the thottle cable and carb end cable all the way in and it ran good. About 2mm Freeplay at throttle. It does still have a low idle so I'm gonna loosen up the carb end cable a bit. I'll.keep you posted. Thanks alot guys. Happy riding to you all

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 2strokeHAWAIIAN said:

I tightened the thottle cable and carb end cable all the way in and it ran good. About 2mm Freeplay at throttle. It does still have a low idle so I'm gonna loosen up the carb end cable a bit. I'll.keep you posted. Thanks alot guys. Happy riding to you all

 

Thanks for getting back and letting us know you are on track.

Aloha

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, 2strokeHAWAIIAN said:

I tightened the thottle cable and carb end cable all the way in and it ran good. About 2mm Freeplay at throttle. It does still have a low idle so I'm gonna loosen up the carb end cable a bit. I'll.keep you posted. Thanks alot guys. Happy riding to you all

FYI, the last two oem throttle cables I put on my 250 had to be tightened all the way up to get the free play at the grip. Almost seemed like they're designed that way...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, zeke383 said:

FYI, the last two oem throttle cables I put on my 250 had to be tightened all the way up to get the free play at the grip. Almost seemed like they're designed that way...

That's good to know. Did you also tighten the carb end all the way? Still trying to figurer out  my low/no idle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, 2strokeHAWAIIAN said:

Still trying to figurer out  my low/no idle. 

This maybe a silly question but have you adjusted the idle screw on the carb ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, kxrob said:

This maybe a silly question but have you adjusted the idle screw on the carb ?

Yes. It's basically all the way in. I actually got it to idle nicely after doing this. I think my problem was trying to set the idle when the bike wasnt warmed up enough.

Thanks for the help guys gonna go for a ride tomorrow down at my favorite trails. Braaaaaap!!!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, 2strokeHAWAIIAN said:

Yes. It's basically all the way in. I actually got it to idle nicely after doing this. I think my problem was trying to set the idle when the bike wasnt warmed up enough.

Thanks for the help guys gonna go for a ride tomorrow down at my favorite trails. Braaaaaap!!!!!

If it's all the way In the tip might be warn out 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, kxrob said:

If it's all the way In the tip might be warn out 

How many turns out should it be? My manual is on my phone and it pretty difficult to find specs with so many pages.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, 2strokeHAWAIIAN said:

How many turns out should it be? My manual is on my phone and it pretty difficult to find specs with so many pages.

There is no spec on how many turns on the black idle adjust screw. 1-2.5 out is what most of the older bikes I have had adjusted to. If it is bothersome, (or you are at bottom) then get a new one. They are plastic, they do wear out. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×