Carb slide adjustment 2002 yz250

I recently had problems with a high idle and turned out my carb slide wasn't seating all the way. I just turned the cable screw on the top of the carb so it was all the way in and the slide would fully close, which fixed the high idle. 

What is the proper adjustment for the slide? Can't seem to find anything about it in the manual.

Look under the "handle bar and control" section I think.  As long as there is a little slack in the throttle tube (even when you turn the bars lock to lock) you should be fine.

Throttle has freeplay per manual, 2mm or 1/16 of an inch. Most of the time it's a bad cable on the older bikes (if cable is old also), can. be routing also. Best to get the correct slack, and adjust knob/screw on carb to bring up idle. Good luck, and let us know what works. Aloha

On 7/13/2017 at 4:50 PM, P84ONE said:

Throttle has freeplay per manual, 2mm or 1/16 of an inch. Most of the time it's a bad cable on the older bikes (if cable is old also), can. be routing also. Best to get the correct slack, and adjust knob/screw on carb to bring up idle. Good luck, and let us know what works. Aloha

I tightened the thottle cable and carb end cable all the way in and it ran good. About 2mm Freeplay at throttle. It does still have a low idle so I'm gonna loosen up the carb end cable a bit. I'll.keep you posted. Thanks alot guys. Happy riding to you all

3 hours ago, 2strokeHAWAIIAN said:

I tightened the thottle cable and carb end cable all the way in and it ran good. About 2mm Freeplay at throttle. It does still have a low idle so I'm gonna loosen up the carb end cable a bit. I'll.keep you posted. Thanks alot guys. Happy riding to you all

Thanks for getting back and letting us know you are on track.

Aloha

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 2strokeHAWAIIAN said:

FYI, the last two oem throttle cables I put on my 250 had to be tightened all the way up to get the free play at the grip. Almost seemed like they're designed that way...

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, zeke383 said:

FYI, the last two oem throttle cables I put on my 250 had to be tightened all the way up to get the free play at the grip. Almost seemed like they're designed that way...

That's good to know. Did you also tighten the carb end all the way? Still trying to figurer out  my low/no idle. 

4 hours ago, 2strokeHAWAIIAN said:

Still trying to figurer out  my low/no idle. 

This maybe a silly question but have you adjusted the idle screw on the carb ?

9 minutes ago, kxrob said:

This maybe a silly question but have you adjusted the idle screw on the carb ?

Yes. It's basically all the way in. I actually got it to idle nicely after doing this. I think my problem was trying to set the idle when the bike wasnt warmed up enough.

Thanks for the help guys gonna go for a ride tomorrow down at my favorite trails. Braaaaaap!!!!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 2strokeHAWAIIAN said:

Yes. It's basically all the way in. I actually got it to idle nicely after doing this. I think my problem was trying to set the idle when the bike wasnt warmed up enough.

Thanks for the help guys gonna go for a ride tomorrow down at my favorite trails. Braaaaaap!!!!!

If it's all the way In the tip might be warn out 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kxrob said:

If it's all the way In the tip might be warn out 

How many turns out should it be? My manual is on my phone and it pretty difficult to find specs with so many pages.

49 minutes ago, 2strokeHAWAIIAN said:

How many turns out should it be? My manual is on my phone and it pretty difficult to find specs with so many pages.

There is no spec on how many turns on the black idle adjust screw. 1-2.5 out is what most of the older bikes I have had adjusted to. If it is bothersome, (or you are at bottom) then get a new one. They are plastic, they do wear out. 

• Like 1