Another bike build thread

This is the saga of my poorly maintained 2003 YZ250 that I bought about a year ago. I added a few mods last summer to help me get by then deployed to Africa for 6 months. The poor bike was riddled with SAE hardware, spray foam where there should have been gaskets, and ziptied rear fender, a horribly cut seat, and plenty of other unspeakable things. However, it came with a title and the engine did run pretty strong at the time...even though it had a hint of engine noise. Over time, the noise progressed and I knew what had to be done. While I was away, I coerced my wife into sending a used crankshaft i bought out to Mr. Crankshaft so I'd have a spare for a quick swap...

This is it after I replaced the fuel tank that had a split in it and put a lectron carb on. It still wasn't that smooth and the wheel/tire combination were unforgiving, plus, the suspension and rebound were set for a wanna-be-freestyle MX rider. 
20160729_225600_zpsxtqzbc4u.jpg

This is the transition to where it was before I really dove in
GT216AA Front with Nitro Mousse
18" Rear with Shinko 505 Cheater rear and Nitro Mousse
Low Enduro bend Flexx bars (eventually putting steering dampener on)
SSS Forks and suspension done by W.E.R.
DEP Armored Enduro Pipe
Steahly 9oz Flywheel Weight
Devol Skidplate
IMS/Zipty tank
Non-cracked white rear fender
Tall seat...I forget who made it, but it does what it do and fits well.
Head cut by 218 (head was cut after this photo was taken)
rock kickstand

During this ride, I had next to no bottom end due to a stuck powervalve. This was my first ride since I came home. I never really tore into the engine, so I got in there, cleaned it up and replaced a broken powervalve pulley and a few areas where parts were missing from the previous owner(s).

20170712_092214_zpsaj0bxfru.jpg

Two weeks after this picture, I took it out to the mountains for the fourth of july and it started to get real nasty sounding and not in a good way
This is why:
20170708_175715_zpsbggvhfcv.jpg

While I was in there, I figured I'd send the top end out to Eric Gorr...and since that has a 2.5 week lead time, I might as well get the frame in order.

Now my bike looks like this. The frame was spray bombed over who knows what, which was over the the original finish. That is being re-mediated.
20170711_223044_zpsvm1hot9c.jpg

To be continued...

• Like 1

That split motor looks nasty. I'd spend some time looking over the transmission and gears with bearings that bad I'd find it hard to believe heard were not damaged. Look for rounded edges and worn or chipped teeth.

2 hours ago, speedtoad said:

That split motor looks nasty. I'd spend some time looking over the transmission and gears with bearings that bad I'd find it hard to believe heard were not damaged. Look for rounded edges and worn or chipped teeth.

Yeah, I'm taking my time with this one...granted it's the middle of summer and I want to get ripping, but I'm waiting another 2 weeks on my cylinder and a week for the frame to get back from powder coat. It is getting all new bearings and seals. 

1 hour ago, P84ONE said:

When you are done, you'll know what you have. Don't forget to put an hour meter on it so you can keep track of servicing. 

That's the plan. I have no idea how many hours were on this bike before I bought it. I have come to find that people are notoriously erroneous when it comes to measuring distance and time when they don't actually have something to measure either with. 

Edited by AnimalMother85

Good luck with your build. Keep us updated.

happy to hear of your safe return from Africa. 

2 hours ago, 505 YZ125 said:

happy to hear of your safe return from Africa. 

OP: :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, AnimalMother85 said:

Back from powder coat.

WOW!!! Didn't see that coming! That's gonna be sharp, can't wait to see this one come together 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, zeke383 said:

WOW!!! Didn't see that coming! That's gonna be sharp, can't wait to see this one come together 

Thanks, going for the red and white scheme. I may do gold rims and black hubs like they were in 1985. 

• Like 3

A quick update. My cylinder is back from Eric Gorr and I had some time to put the engine back together. I would have probably gotten it all done, but the top end was missing the head gasket, so I shot Eric an email and I'm awaiting a response.

IMG_20170819_203204_537_zpswehiaq61.jpg

20170819_235339_zpse58sajlp.jpg

Old piston on top, standard wiseco in the middle,
Eric Gorr on the bottom

20170819_210839_zps83tisgf0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using ThumperTalk mobile app

• Like 4