Where do you mount you camera

Hello Guys and Gals

So i got myself a helmet and i will soon have a camera for recording .

I have seen many videos online with cameras on the helmets and i decided to do so aswell.

I will fall alot , and i do not want that camera to ruin the balance of the helmet .

So for practical reasons , where is the safest place to put it  , and not to make the helmet unbalanced .

17 minutes ago, endurocross said:

So for practical reasons , where is the safest place to put it  , and not to make the helmet unbalanced .

Chest mount.

• Like 1

Hello Guys and Gals
So i got myself a helmet and i will soon have a camera for recording .
I have seen many videos online with cameras on the helmets and i decided to do so aswell.
I will fall alot , and i do not want that camera to ruin the balance of the helmet .

Under the visor

I've tried on the top and side of the helmet and had it snag branches and almost throw me overboard. This is my go to mount now. Love the view it gets and it's out of the way!

t8Ky6rZ.jpg

I've ran a side mount for a couple of years with no issue. I also run it on top. Not sure how much a few ounces will cause imbalance issues....I find a way to crash no matter where it's mounted!

• Like 3

I've did under the visor for quite a while, but cutting a notch in the visor and mounting the camera by that would only work on certain helmets. Now have a Proshot mount, works on any helmet.. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Chin mount is the only way to go.  I tried the side of the helmet and constantly caught it on branches and shrubbery etc.

Thank you all for the replies  guys.

I think i will put it under the visor or on the chin mount . Falling off on a side and  trapping branches was also my main concern .

With a small inclination towards "under the visor" , but i see that @MountAiryTrailRiders had to lift up the angle of the visor to accommodate the camera , and that would mean interfering with wind angle at higher speeds , and also being more careful when i hit head-level-branches ( not for the cam but for the helmet/visor ) .

Chest would also be an interesting idea but from my memory i saw some videos made on chest , and when standing they were filming the bike not the "riding" . Now I don't stand a lot , just when I hit the roots/big boulders or when I go over 40 degrees  (Celsius :) ) in angle .

Guess the best bet is to try it both(or  thrith) ways to see and observe  which way is the best way .

• Like 1

good stuff iv been looking into a camera myself.  are there any good cheapies  as a go pro is WAY to expensive  for me. at the same time I don't want to waist money on a cheap cam if the quality is not good .... iv seen them on ebay for $26... is there any recommendations for a cam other than go pro????  cheers

I have a home made chin mount for my helmet.  It doesn't upset the balance at all.  Don't even know it's there and it gives the best perspective IMO.

But my bike and I departed company the other day and I went down hard enough to cause some whip lash, except my neck brace took the impact and transferred the force to my sternum.  The camera and mount broke away, as I designed it to, but there is a nasty looking gash in the throat area of the neck brace.

Without the neck brace, I wonder if the camera mount would have sliced my neck open.  Sometimes I do ride around without the neck brace.  Not anymore!

Edited by Colorado^

I used to use a top of helmet mount but changed to the chin because I kept getting it caught on branches.

good stuff iv been looking into a camera myself.  are there any good cheapies  as a go pro is WAY to expensive  for me. at the same time I don't want to waist money on a cheap cam if the quality is not good .... iv seen them on ebay for $26... is there any recommendations for a cam other than go pro????  cheers

I went on Craigslist and bought a used GoPro hero that some girl used once on vacation for 80.00. Do not buy a cheap eBay knockoff because I did and it sucked. It stopped working after three rides and the sound is horrendous. Good luck

cheers sir falls a lot  il have to keep looking glad I did not waist my money!

• Like 1

ive been happy with my 60$ SJ4000 bundle  came with 2 extra batteries and all sorts of mounts for 60bucks, its not a gopro but it looks good at 1080/30 fps 720/30 720/60fps 

check this in 720 which still isnt full quality since i just edited it with windows movie maker real quick, the raw footage off the camera is much nicer 

i have very crappy upload speed so i have to use settings which kill the quality a lil bit to get a smaller files size for upload

Edited by project89

3 minutes ago, project89 said:

ive been happy with my 60$ SJ4000 bundle  came with 2 extra batteries and all sorts of mounts for 60bucks, its not a gopro but it looks good at 1080/30 fps 720/30 720/60fps 

check this in 720 which still isnt full quality since i just edited it with windows movie maker real quick, the raw footage off the camera is much nicer 

i have very crappy upload speed so i have to use settings which kill the quality a lil bit to get a smaller files size for upload

well that seems reasonable  sounds not that bad  would you say an sj5000 would be better?? I have no experience with cameras!

Just bought my first helmet cam a few months ago. Looked at a bazillion different cameras, but in the end the deciding factor for me was telemetry. Things are constantly changing, but at that time the Garmin Virb Ultra was the only one with solid telemetry. At $400 it isn't cheap, and there are definitely things I'd like to improve, but for me it was worth the investment to be able to display speed, grade, g-force, elevation, air time, etc etc. Also able to print maps of the days ride. And with the camera tucked out of sight under my visor the remote wrist control has been well worth the extra $49. Allows you to remotely start/stop recording, take pics, monitor for battery life. Just wish the camera didn't have to be mounted in the waterproof case, makes it heavier and awkward to mount.

• Like 1

well that seems reasonable  sounds not that bad  would you say an sj5000 would be better?? I have no experience with cameras!

Although I will say of all the cheap sport cameras the sj4000 got decent reviews and doesn't look bad from the video!

And I think you're on the right track with mounting. After months of experimentation, I ended up under the visor, with chin mount being the next option. Top, side, and bar mount all failed for various reasons. Chest mount seems reasonable and I like the camera view from that perspective, but I like to keep my chest protector loose, so not the best for me.

Sweet I have found an sj4000 on ebay with all the mounts and 2 batterys and accessories  for $26 free post might give it a go.....cheers for the input!

I have to take ALL the savings I can get being on a very tight budget.

Edited by vicxr400
forgetfull