Can't find replacement front fork springs

1995 cr250r

I replaced the oil in my forks the other day and noticed that the springs are quite a bit out of spec.  I think factory is about 19.16 inches according to my clymer manual.  When I measured them, they shored up at around 18.5 inches.  I've been doing a few google searches and looking at the factory connections website but I cannot find any direct replacement springs for these KAYABA series shocks.

1. Obviously my first option is to buy new forks and triple tree but I really don't want to do that. 

2. I'm guessing "stretching" the spring is the absolute worst thing I could do, so that's not an option? (Yes, I'm questioning that...)

3. Which leads me to the PVC pipe/washer question?  I know this is done in chinese pit bikes for greater compression because...china, but I'm trying to figure out what all of my options are.  There were two washers on top of the spring "inside" the spring collar when I took it apart but they don't "extend" the spring to the 19.16 inches. (It was still shy about an eighth of an inch or maybe one more washer.)

I did find these from race tech, but they seem like they would be awful soft compared to stock springs (which is supposedly around .41 or .43 kg depending on the website you go to)

http://www.racetech.com/page/title/FRSP-RT Fork Spring List

Item Code            Description Length (mm)         OD 1    OD 2   Minimum Travel    Rate (kg/mm)   Rate (N/mm)   Rate (lb/in)

FRSP 394936RT    FRK SPR 38.1x487mm .36kg     487     38.1          312                  0.36                 3.53              20.2

TL;DR

If my springs are too short and I can't find decent non-used replacements and I don't plan on jumping the bike (If I did it would be like 1-2 feet in the air not 30 feet like Ronnie Mac) can I do anything to extend these springs to use it as a trail ride/leisure track bike?

My apologies if there is a thread on this already.  Searching for "front fork stock springs short" didn't bring up any viable threads...

Yes you can preload them but you want the correct material , durlon I think is the type of plastic you need

• Like 1

id also verify the clymer spec is accurate you might order new one and find them the same?  what is the installed preload of what you have now?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, YHGEORGE said:

Have you checked with Cannon Racing or Eibach?

not yet.  I'll check now. thanks!

1 hour ago, Budlite said:

Are the springs in it giving you problems ?

technically no, but that's because I haven't used the bike since i JUST rebuilt the forks.  New bushings, seals, washers, all that. the reason for the rebuild was because - this post:

(scroll down to where the dampening rod got removed for pics)

essentially the (top part) damper rod threaded piece broke into the end cap.  My reasoning behind it breaking like that now is that the springs were out of spec and they weren't providing any (or proper) kind of resistance when the fork was being compressed when the bike was being ridden hard.  (Keep in mind I bought the bike for $500 bux.)  I replaced the damping system (crazy money...) and now that fork is a bit softer than the original fork. (by original i mean the fork that wasn't damaged)  Both have brand new fluid and i measured the fork fluid to 100 cc's. I'm using honda SS8 (10w) fork oil

I finally got the bike out tonight and she feels damn good, suspension and all.  I just don't want a repeat of what the last guy did to her... She's F'ing mean boys.  All balls and no brakes. (speaking of, anyone know of some good braking products?)

1 hour ago, highmarker said:

id also verify the clymer spec is accurate you might order new one and find them the same?  what is the installed preload of what you have now?

sooooo, full disclosure...I kind of stretched them out prior to the posting.  I didn't even think anything of it until my buddy was like W T F DID YOU DO?! So I came here to find out how bad I f'd up... I did get them past the 19.16 by a smidge and they mate up against the end caps great (Both were actually out of spec according to clymer) without the washers installed now.  I'm thinking about installing the washers back into them as I read an article that stated just because you can stretch them out doesn't mean they are going to stay there, and in fact, the first time you compress them, guess what, they just went back to where they were before you stretched them....

I don't know how to verify the clymer spec unless someone happens to have a 1995 honda manual handy?

You guys are awesome. Thanks for the replies.

If it starts to sack a little you can always add Schrader valves and a small amount of oil.  Myself I wouldn't have repaired the fork. I would have picked up a used set of 47mm Twin chambered forks.

Edited by Budlite

washers or spacer tubes

Look on eBay for used or new. Someone may have some old stock. I used to watch it like a bulldog for springs of that era.