2007 vs 2017crf's

So my brother had an old 2007 crf250r, and due to his continuing success in arena cross and enduro he wants to up his game and try for lorretta's next year.... So my father mother and brother in law went out and bought him a 2017 crf250r today. Since, his 2007 is always having issues like blown bearings, valves, carb, etc and is costing more in maintenance than the payments for the new bike.
I can not ride well at all, so I have not even been on the bike in fear i will crash it. But I am decently mechanically inclined.... Here is my question....

I asked him which felt more powerful his old 2007 or his new 2017, he said the 2017, this made me wonder.... His 2007 is supposedly 2hp more and 2 torque more than the 2017, and he has fmf full exhuast, and other little goodies on that 2007 that I am not counting.... The 2007 also is supposed to weigh 8 lbs less not counting after market exhuast, bars, rims, etc.... Yet, he says this one is much easier to throw whips on because it feels so much lighter..... The carb is tuned perfectly on that 2007, and everything engine wise is great.... 

Can anyone explain this to me? Is it a placebo due to the new bike feel, or is the 2017 despite less power and more weight actually faster? 

2017 specs https://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/honda_crf250r_2017.php
2009 specs https://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/honda_crf250r_2009.php
Cant find 2007 specs so posted 2009....
(The reason I am explaining he is successful in arena and enduro and gunna try for Loretta is to show, he is not a novice rider....)

Edited by boostedturbo

So it is technically around 2-4hp more than the 2007... That is interesting, that combined with wearing internals on the 2007, it should be quite a bit more powerful....
Thank you :)

We didnt get him this because it is the most powerful bike in the world:)
He loves hondas for some reason, he just loves how they feel, we put him on my fathers 2010kx 450 and he could not stand it lol.

What is funny though is he says the opposite about the handling than the article says.... (he has never had a steering stabilizer before on a bike). But, he says in the rough hard pack, the bike shakes a little, but tracks to where he wants it too....

So far he has not had problems keeping up with new models of kawis, yamaha's, ktms, etc.... On his old 2007. So we will see what happens when he steps up to the bigger boys on the road to lorrettas next year :)

• Like 1

When Hondas fuel injected the CRFs they became tamer I guess you could say.  We have an 07 and an 11, the 07 feels much more like a wild beast than the FI 11.

• Like 1

What initially 'feels' fast can also harder to ride (get forward traction, narrower powerband to work with etc.),

a more linear 'tamer' power spread may not feel as fast but the lap times will likely prove otherwise.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

agreed, he went to the track yesterday with his brand new bike, and 2 of his friends he has made from racing were there....
1 is the same speed of him, the other is a bit faster... But on this bike he was faster... Could be placebo, but idk that is why I am asking you guys :)

Both were on a crf 250r, one was 2008, other was 2011.

Don't forget the air forks on the 2017 . 

I changed from an 06 to a 17, and  I really feel the difference in throttle response specially on the aggressive mode and the bike geometry feels better on the air, also with the right software you can easily tune the bike, change the PGM etc, is more up to date bike.

Edited by MXGuy34
  • Like 1

Everyone focuses on hp and suspension but there are also many other subtle improvements to bikes over the years that do make a difference. And I very much understand liking the Honda "feel", no other make matches the ergos and fit of a Honda.

• Like 1

power wise, it will feel like the 250r is a rocket compared to your bike. 
Suspension wise, you will notice, the 3 inches higher seat height, longer rake, Air forks compared to your oil ones, and also its 18+ lbs lighter compared to your 230.

If you are racing and competitive i would say a 250r would be a good choice, however, if you are just trail riding with friends and having fun, stay with the 230, its a lot cheaper, and will break less frequently. If you really want a new bike for trails, go for the 250x not the 250r. Unless your racing a highly competitive circuit and have money to spend :p

What many people don't understand is the 250r is a racebike, its not just a dirtbike, it is made to make the most amount of power it can, and handle the most extreme environments on earth.
There is no exact time until the bike will break, but it will break a lot more frequently. Valves will wear far faster, pisoton rings will go quicker, and other things....

Where as the 250x is made to have power, but still be reliable and user friendly... And the 230 is made to be pure reliability... 

It's a placebo effect... But there is merit to it 'being' a placebo effect. If you feel better, regardless if you can measure it or not, you generally will be better. That being said, fast is fast. A new bike isn't going to make you brother any faster (even if the bike itself has measurable differences) if he isn't comfortable. The old 06/07/08/09 Hondas that I have ridden have been some of the most ergonomically comfortable bikes I've ever ridden. I hated the feel of the 13+ models... 

I had 07 and it was a better bike than the 14 I had.07 bikes handled better in my opinion. I miss that b8ke

nothing worse than spending big bucs for the latest greatest mx bike only to realize you were faster on your old bike! lol...has happened to me several times over the years :(

• Like 1

I must own and owned some real shit bikes because my 011 crf250r is a real nice bike to ride. 

• Like 1