Uni Air Filter Fit

Anyone ever have any issues fitting the Uni Air Filter in their XR250? I went to install my new Uni yesterday and it looks nothing like the stock filter that came out. The stock filter has one big open mouth that fits over the lip inside the airbox. The Uni filter's open mouth is divided in two halves, as if there were two separate side by side air chambers with lips inside the air box.

I checked the labeling on the uni packaging and it says XR250R on it. I've tried to find a photo online, but they are all from the outside of the filter, not looking in...

Any suggestions?

There's nothing wrong with your filter. Make sure you're fitting it over the UNI cage. It's common to trim out the center foam strip, then mount the filter to the cage. It's a good idea to grease the foam lip that mates with the airbox.

• Like 1

Thanks Trailryder. I was wondering if they sent me the wrong model... I don't understand why it has a center foam strip which prohibits it from seating on the airbag lip properly. I'll see if I can trim it out. Filter is oiled and lip is greased.

After trimming the center strip?

Why would Uni make a product that needs modification?

I had the same problem with mine. It wouldn't fit properly with the strip so I cut it out and now it fits like a glove.

Anyone have issues with their Uni coming apart at the seams?

After about 5 hours of use (since new) I pulled the filter to clean it and some of the seams are separating. Not all the way through but eventually I'm sure they will. Basically the glue has failed. Pretty disappointed and won't be buying another one from them. 

I would mail them I'm sure they would be willing to send you a new one for free if yours Is defective.

On 2/8/2018 at 0:57 AM, Bad Moon said:

Anyone have issues with their Uni coming apart at the seams?

After about 5 hours of use (since new) I pulled the filter to clean it and some of the seams are separating. Not all the way through but eventually I'm sure they will. Basically the glue has failed. Pretty disappointed and won't be buying another one from them. 

Edited by doh13

How many ppl cut the center strip on the uni ? mine has the strip and I was wondering what it's for , I was thinking it might help hold the filter on the cage but that would be the only use I can think of otherwise it's just in the way and not helping with filtering etc..

On 2/11/2018 at 1:58 PM, doh13 said:

I would mail them I'm sure they would be willing to send you a new one for free if yours Is defective.

I did. Haven't heard anything.

I also cut the center strip. I could not get it off the cage to oil it otherwise.

With my research I found people said that the strip helps to hold the filter from spreading apart and letting dust in but the ppl that cut the strip say its not much of an issue. i was able to remove my foam for cleaning with the strip intact.

I  emailed UNI to ask if it would hurt to cut the strip  but no reply yet.

I think that strip is to keep the sides from bulging out while in the packaging, so the edges will seal. Trim it off before fitting. With the glue, I washed mine in fuel once, like we used to back in the 70’s, and it fell apart. Learnt we are supposed to use warm soapy water these days, along with the air filter oil, not the mineral oil we used back in the day.

I found the faulty seams after removing the filter to clean it for the first time. So I hadn't even had a chance to clean it yet. Honda air filter oil was the only chemical to ever be on it.